Those in the west, especially the Northern Rockies, get your wood and supplies in before the weekend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

InTheRockies

Aug 15, 2008
Northern US Rockies
Brace yourselves as Arctic air moves in and creates deadly conditions during the snow storms that are to hit this weekend. My region is to see our daytime highs drop to 3F (-16C) and our night time temps are going to be going down to -17F (-27C). We're to have wind on top of that, creating blizzard-like conditions. So, get your supplies in now and get your wood as close to your house as you can, if you don't have enough indoor storage.

Yup, looks like our unseasonably mild early winter we've been experiencing is going to come to a rather abrupt end here shortly. Rick

Just moved a 10 day supply to under my covered deck. Snow tomorrow night, and then temps drop to 0C-minus 4C-and even colder. I think it would be approx. 32F and 25F--not sure, the up-conversion is a whole lot simpler. Oh, and just looking and see -12C,,, damn cold with the expected outflow winds.

That minus 12C gets a little scary, because I have had a dozen Fatsia Japonicas outside for the past 8 years, and it would totally suck to lose them now.

There goes that tropical feeling :sick:

Well... I not in the West and nowhere near the Rockies but had a few inches of snow and freezing rain yesterday. Roads were slippery this morning and saw several places where vehicles hit the ditch. Now the weather guessers are calling for a foot or more of snow this weekend.

Oh, and it turned cold. -24C now going down to -31C tonight. I should have taken some ashes out of the stove this morning.

This is going to be brutal on the plants. Many are budding now with the warm temps. I saw several trees with leaves that were just turning color today.

But heads up to folks to our east. Day time highs in the low teens are predicted for Spokane, lows of -15. That's bad enough, but this is looking to be one mighty storm coming through. The low is gaining strength rapidly. If the models play out the predictions are for a drop from from 30.24" to 28.94" in just over a day. That means on top of bitter cold temps, high winds. Which for us = power outages. Gust are predicted to be up to 60 mph. Yuck!

http://www.komonews.com/news/36003009.html

Great timing - Im half way through an upgrade to a Caddy and tonight have no heat at all !!! Better be able to get it done tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.