Those of you with Hampton inserts...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burntime

Aug 18, 2006
C'mon hunting season!
I get pm'd all the time how high I have gotten my stove temp. With a rutland thermometer in the top shelf I hit 350 yesterday. What say you all? :-/

Don't have a hampton but seems low to me, is that with or without blower running

With the blower running, that is basically the top shelf that the air runs thru. I get secondary burn at 200 or less so it is just not a great place to measure...with the enamel face there really is no place good to stick it to.

Try turning the blower off on a warmer day and see what its running at, should give ya a better idea if its hot enough. That or get in IR and point it at the door.

I know its hot enough. I want to know how high I can go. More of a curiosity thing.

It won't get hot on that shelf if you start burning coal in the friggin thing because of the air cooling.

I run it without a thermometer. Wife called (I'm travelin) excited to say that she has it hot enough for the blower to engage. I love her more and more.

Good post. Yeah, I am kind of following your lead. I had it up to 350 yesterday but chickened out and turned the blower on high and cut the air back. My neighbor has the IR thing that you point and it tells you how hot an object is. I will ask to borrow it and do some comparisons with the temp gage I have on top as it relates to the IR unit. Pointing the IR at the glass what temp am I looking for?

Even without the blower on- IT WON'T GET THAT HOT on that shelf. Don't go for temp there! The blower pushes heat out from the surface UNDER that- so that's the hot surface.

that shelf is separated from the main body with not great thermal contact to the main body. It's a thermal break. You should not get those temps that you hear aout people getting on the griddle of a regular stove. Measure on the door or something. I have looked into the air outlet without the blower going and seen the top of the stove (under the shelf) glowing- that's not good, and it's what you'll get mucking around like this IMO.

I agree with your statements but if I borrow the IR device and point it at the door what temp should I be aiming for. 350 on the top is probably more than 600 in the stove itself. What is the max temp range for these stoves? 600-700? Once I do the comparisons I should understand what 350 on top measures in the stove itself.

You guys hit the nail on the head. I am looking for experiences on what to do, not what not to do :) I have hit 350 and wondering if that is topped out or if there is a little more room? Btw when it hit 350 a few times that was after I choked it down...always had the blower on high. It was 300-320 this moring with a load of (gasp) silver maple!!!

C'mon guys, I have probably gotten 10 plus emails, time to share your experiences...

I have the HI200 and placing the thermometer directly on the door above the handle I was able to achieve 350 max. Now moving it to the middle of the door (grabbing just enough medal to hold it) I'm over 400.

While I'm here, mind if I throw a couple more questions out there about our inserts?

- Is your door noisy? Mine was quiet as mouse when it was new a month ago. Now when I open it I get a loud metal groaning sound. Can this be quited with some sort of lubrication?

- How successful have you been keeping your glass clean? Even on my best nights (perfect slow burning flame) I still get a haze.

- Finally, Have you achieved a 6-8hr burn with this stove? Seems to me, that those figures are somewhat ambitious. I start out with a rip roaring fire, then close the vent to about half. Hampton doesn't recommend going below half when using the blower.

Your insert is not the enamel one so a magnetic thermometer sticks. Try removing the door and using some ash or pencil lead? Try keeping your wood away from the glass??? Just a few thoughts...thanks for the info!

Wow, I thought they were cast and steel only??? How do you get the thermometer to stick? I have tried 2 different ones and no way it will stay when the stove is cool let alone hot!

This IR thing is not as simple as I thought. It only goes to 550. And with my Rutland over 200 it was maxing out pointing at the fire.
I pointed the IR on the metal strip that goes along the top when looking through the glass. It has many small holes in it.

Rutland IR
Fan turned on 175 468
250 490
300 515

If you guys want me to try a different location on the Hampton just say the word. Maybe more useful to point it at the door?

Odd that much larger numbers on the shelf thermometer only show small increases to the ir? Maybe it was heating up. My guess is get er rippin for a few hours, then check it again as it cools? Thanks a bunch! I may one of these days get a ir and play some too. Kind of like the moisture meter...I know when its wet and when its dry but its still fun!

Okay this might be more accurate. Moved back several feet and was able to get some readings on the back center firebrick. Now the IR points through the glass and back to the firebrick. Whether its measuring the glass or firebrick is what I'm unsure of. At 310 on the Rutland the firebrick showed 525.
Anyone know the max range for these stoves?

I have heard that 750 is max and others have said they routinely run them at 850 or 900 on the top. Sounds like anything over 200 is doing great.

I had a few hours to mess with the IR. My Rutland hit 375 today. Very hot. No problems with the stove getting red. My conclusion with the Hampton is your good to go if your Rutland is measuring 275-375. This is with the Rutland on top and middle. For coldest nights you should be around 325+. I'll let Burntime go for 400. I don't think that will be a problem either. Over 400 is getting very close to the limits.

Its gonna have to wait a few weeks until we get the real cold stuff here. Still teens or low 20's at night. I will let er rip when we get -20 and a good wind. Then I will stoke it and load it up with hardwood. Thanks cocey, it helps to get an idea of the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.