Those with turbulators

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laynes69

Minister of Fire
Oct 2, 2006
Ashland OH
I don't have a boiler, but do have a wood furnace with a secondary heat exchanger that has 3 large tubes to collect heat from. I recently was reading on here and discovered that turbulators help to break up the "core" of the heat in the exchanger tubes. We have 2 tubes that are roughly 3.5" in diameter and a large 6" tube that runs down the center of the top of the furnace. We see very little buildup and I could place them and remove them in seconds. Can they be used to increase heat transfer on a forced air furnace? I see they are used on boilers, but I wasn't sure about any other installation. This is something that interests me. We have excellent draft so slowing down some won't be an issue. Thoughts?

Here is a couple of photos to show the exchanger.

Attachments

• heatexchanger.jpg
    heatexchanger.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 257
  • heat exchanger.jpg
    heat exchanger.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 250
Google laminar flow vs turbulent flow-- the turbulators not only increase the time the hot gas spends in the HX, it also increases, dramatically, the extent to which the hottest parts of the flow contact the walls of the HX.

If I had a situation like yours, I'd definitely try some experiments with strips of sheetmetal formed like spiral noodles...

good luck and let us know what you try and what you find.

I don't think I would modify the appliance without the manufacturers approval. If you are talking about a wood fired forced air furnace, If you get a crack in the HX you have the potential to get CO carbon monoxide in the air stream to the building. In a boiler you get a water leak on the floor.

Keep your and your families safety in mind when playing with combustion and byproducts of. A low level CO detector should be required with all wood fueled furnaces. Any fueled appliance in a living space, actually.

hr

With a boiler there is water on the other side of the heat exchange tubes and the temps on the water side range from 100 to 240 degrees. With air it may get too hot if you slow down the passage of exhaust gas and warp or crack the tubes, which could cause a dangerous situation. On a boiler if one of the heat exchange tubes did crack water would flow into the fire chamber putting out the fire but with hot air the fire would enter the heating air side and possibly burn up the house. Be very safe no mater what you do. research a little more into what the manufacturer suggests and follow those guidelines closely.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.