Thought I dodged it, Covid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My wife just tested positive. We will see if I continue my streak of not getting it when everyone around me has it.

• Sad
Reactions: Ashful and begreen
Good luck, I really thought I was clear ;)

Hope she recovers quickly and the bugs stay away from you. My wife got it back when omicron broke out but my son and I didn't.

Hope she recovers quickly and the bugs stay away from you. My wife got it back when omicron broke out but my son and I didn't.
She has had it before and it wasn't too bad

My turn. Hoping I can lose a few pounds with this. :) Feel much better today already compared to yesterday.

PCP did say that the concern at my age is COVID pneumonia. Go to ER if I have difficulty breathing. Asked if I have a pulse oximeter. Didn't seem concerned I didn't, and he didn't tell me to get one.

He changed the teleconference to a video call because he wanted to see how I look , was moving, and if breathing was labored.

I am fully vaccinated with five shots, so that helps. Seems like a bad cold. And I reported it within 5 days of the onset of symptoms, so Paxlovid should help. Quarantine for 5 days from onset. It's been reduced from 10 days because shedding virus drops exponentially.

My symptoms are typical from what I'm reading. Starts with tired for unknown reason. Then sore throat. Then congestion with coughing and sore throat diminishes. Chills. Mild fever that comes and goes. Sneezing. Blowing nose. Diarrhea. Pretty much the list of symptoms I see online.

Long night last night. Went to bed at 9 and woke up more times than I ever have. Finally got longer sleep periods when I re- drugged at 3:20 AM.

He asked if I have any idea where I may have picked it up from. Onset can be 2 - 14 days from exposure, so I could have gotten it anywhere. He said COVID is everywhere. Lots of asymptomatic people out-and-about shedding virus.

Last edited:
Interesting enough, although I had all of the symptoms over the last two weeks, including the classic issue of losing taste and respiratory troubles, each of the home tests I've taken have shown negative. This is my second round with this, the last being two years ago, and both times I tested negative. Two years ago, my kids both tested positive, and I had the same symptoms at the same time as them, but I tested negative on numerous successive home tests... the very same test kits that were showing positive for our kids.

Same here. I got something with milder covid-like symptoms when flying back in June. Test 3 times (day 2, day 5, and day 10. Each test showed negative. I passed it off as some sort of flu but who knows.

Just life, in the 2020's. As if flu was getting lonely. ;lol

Thankfully, I don't personally know anyone with a very bad case, although I know they're out there. Anyone watch Physics Girl on YouTube?

I've known some people with very bad cases and have been nearby to some others. Not Physics Girl, but the first widely reported fatality was around 15 miles from here in Everett, WA; a relative of mine just happened to stay home from the first widely reported super-spreader event (a church choir meeting in Bellingham, WA); the first widely reported super-spreader institution (a senior residence in Kirkland, WA) was about two miles from me and my G.P. was the institution's primary care M.D.; a friend of a friend was forced to retire last year (in his 40s) due to long COVID; and a colleague of mine had what is now being called "COVID psychosis" for 6 or 8 months, also last year. Obviously anyone in northwestern Washington was also somewhat close to several of those. There are many fine things about NW Washington, but being "first in pandemics" is not something to brag about (or repeat).

As far as I know, I haven't had it yet. I am more careful than usual. Most of my relatives, friends, neighbors, and colleagues have had it. No fatalities, although a few were hospitalized in the early part of the pandemic.

Reactions: Ashful
Research shows a possible link for severe Covid to inherited Neanderthal genes.

Reactions: PaulOinMA
Well, it was a good run but I got Covid this week. Not like I went to any big parties or concerts, I think I got it at the grocery store. I had all the vaccine shots including the second booster but that was 11 months ago and to date there is no new seasonal or third booster. I am not the only one, a friend's wife who worked with the public just got it. I got up with what felt like a head cold and it got worse during the day, just for the heck of it I had a Covid test kit in the house so I did a test and tested positive. I called the state hotline to get Paxlovid, the antiviral that can reduce symptoms if taken early on, but by the time I got the script, the local pharmacies were closed. I got one the next morning and once I took it, it took 24 hours to really think it was having an impact. Everything I have read is that the faster it is taken the better it works. There are some side effects, including a weird taste in the mouth but compared to fever and chills and a headache, worth the dose. Now I have stick with it a couple of days.
I had all the vaccine shots including the second booster
Did it ever occur to you that the vaccine didn't work?

There is that possibility. The vaccine is not 100% effective and there are many mitigating factors like one's stated of health, genetic makeup, immune system conditioning, etc. My understanding is that the point of the vaccine is less as a total preventative and more to reduce the need hospitalization by priming the body with a weak immune trigger and response. That said I am not a medical professional.
though it's fairly certain that determining this on a one-off case is not going to happen.

Reactions: bholler
Yes, but my rational mind realizes that its far more likely that my nearly one year old booster shot was not 100% effective with a new variant. Sadly, a big portion of the population got conned by outright lies and misdirections on the intent of the vaccines, they were not designed nor intended to be a total cure, they were intended to "prime" the immune system to prevent people from getting really sick, hospitalized and dead, in my case I never was sick enough to need to get medical attention and by taking the Paxlovid I further reduced the impact. Given my age group, I was far more likely to get sick from it and knowing several folks in the area that died or were hospitalized, I was not interested in unproven quack cures or assurances from the biased antivax media.

Reactions: bholler
Seeing an overall uptick in cases? We have two of our kid’s families in this state and Vt unable to come home to celebrate on Thursday due to covid and exposure. Also, a son in a third state just got over it. Doesn’t seem there is a good way to keep track and judge risk now that it is more normalized.

Seeing an overall uptick in cases? We have two of our kid’s families in this state and Vt unable to come home to celebrate on Thursday due to covid and exposure. Also, a son in a third state just got over it. Doesn’t seem there is a good way to keep track and judge risk now that it is more normalized.
True, accounting is harder because many don't report the illness or even get tested for it. One more reliable indicator is testing sewer system outflow.