Thought I was done burning but...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjim13

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2009
Central Vermont
Thought my final tally for the year was going to hold at a nice even 225, guess mother nature had other ideas! It had been fairly warm the last week or so and I hadn't been running the stove. Today was a different story though, high was 55* but wind was nasty. I went the whole day without the stove but when my daughter came home I decided to turn it on (she has been fighting a cold and is 4 so she pretty much runs the house anyway!). But at 50* with some nasty wind it was no big deal to fire it up and take the edge off in the house!

So....225 1/2 and counting :)

we had the stove for a the last days, but today, cold, raw and windy. Had the grand children so we lit the stove. They have gone home now and the house is 80! So it looks like I'll shut her down again and open the window an inch! Past experience is that this may well go on right into the second week of June. Last year, we had a very early spring followed by a very late frost that even nipped the native oak trees. Who knows!

Been running a few nights here so still hesitant to do the final Spring cleaning.
Looking at the forecast I'd say mine might be running the next couple of nights.
Would rather burn a couple more bags than hear the oil burner kick on.

Mine on thermostat, has run twice since I got up today.

Burning AGAIN today. It's wet, rainy and 48* right now. Good thing spring is here!!

This is the reason I hadn't done my spring cleaning yet also...

On a side note got the spring buy prices from my local dealer. Still good prices but did note that prices could change at any time. Thinking Northers for $230/ton but also considering MWP for $224.

MWP here for $209, must be shipping costs.

That would be my guess, I burned them 2 seasons ago- when prices went crazy as a matter of fact. Got them for $219/ton, they were ashy but kept my house warm! I have heard that the product has improved over the last 2 yrs or so and may try them. Drives me nuts that I can get pellets from Maine and Canada cheaper than I can get pellets made here in VT, oh well.

I have always been a fan of 100 % softwood pellets after burning 20 bags of Spruce Pointe.

Well, I'm gonna hafta re-think the stove cleaning once again. :-S Temps will be down near 40 tonight here in the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY, and the stove kicked on about 30 minutes ago.

I guess it's still is better than snow.

Got home to the pellet stove running and my wife loading logs into the wood stove.
It may be warm but continual rain all day makes the house feel cold.
Not over yet!

Same here. Did a cleaning last Sunday but burning again tonight. I kinda knew that burning was not done yet but figured I could get the heavy stuff off and then the final spring clean wont be too bad. Better than oil, for sure.

LOL

About a 2 months ago I put bag #200 into the hopper. I made plans to pick up some more pellets that weekend. I checked the weather and decided to buy another full ton. It turns out I am glad I did, bag 226 and counting and now it's supposed to be in the 30's tonight but with a half tank of oil and at $3.87/gal I am NOT turning on the furnace!

I'm saving every drop of oil left for my oil fired hot water heater. Last tank lasted 15 months, 196 gallons used for hot water and to supplement the heat. Wife turns on the thermostat when it goes below 72 inside. The good part of that is that she is slow to turn on the air conditioner in the summer heat. We pay about .17 cents per KW here! The dehumidifier is just as thirsty as the air conditioner. Anyone with any experience with one of those air exchangers used to pull the moisture out of there finished basement areas?

Stove is running again this morning. We'll go
from this right into the 90's and humid stuff
I just know it.

Xena said:
Stove is running again this morning. We'll go
from this right into the 90's and humid stuff
I just know it.

Yup, last week-maybe 2 weeks ago it was 85 during the day and very humid. All the windows in my house were open and my ceiling fans were running. Today and for the last few days I have been running the stove. Gotta love N.E. Weather!

Darn,, It was 38 this morning in GEORGIA!!!! Spent 2 days cleaning my inserts when it was 85. Grrrrrr. Had the blowers out for the first time in two years and had almost nothing on the blades after 6 tons. Pretty amazing. Couldn't get my flexible shaft cleaning brush up the flexible chimney liner more than 8 feet though. It sucks. And I'm NOT climbing up steep pitched roofs to use the leaf blower.

We still lite ours up to knock down the cold damp up here in flood country. A couple hours here and there make all the difference this time of year. About all we do is get it going good and set the stat to just idle the fire. Around here you aren't ever really done until Memorial Day.

Well, I thought I was all done at the 215 bag mark, but now there's a FROST WARNING for my area of the Hudson Valley....I just loaded part of bag 216 into the stove....sheeesh. :-/

We are getting by with some quick burns in the morning to knock the chill off. Hoping this will end in the next week or 2.

Still burning here, only going through like a bag every 4 days... but it helps at night. Down to my last 12 bags. Probably not going to do the deep spring cleaning for a week or two.....northern michigan gets wierd..

Same here

Did a depp clean on the advantage 2T the other day and it will likely stay down now until fall.

Still using the Prodigy and the other day I stoked up the Quad and let it handle the duties in this part of the shoulder season.

Last night I lit a fire in the Prodigy and let it run all night. Supposed to be cool and wet here for the weekend.

Weather here will not be summer trustworthy until mid June.

June to late september is pretty good at staying warm.

Ahhhh well, heads off to get another bucket of shells.

Snowy

Tulips, lung wort, wild blueberries, pansies, wild violets, pear trees, and apple trees are blooming, , my radishes, lettuce, turnips, and beets are up in the outside planters. Peas and onions finally got into the ground as did the parsnips. The carrots should be up shortly.

Rhubarb is coming along fine.

What's this burning thing (hey, where's the ducks for cover smiley?)?

We are just starting to get the garden stuff sprouted in the house now.

The weather is still too cool and soggy to do much outdoors yet.

Last night we let the quad handle to heat chores and this morning I started the Prodigy once again.

The weather is cool, dreary and wet. Supposed to clear off a little later and transistion to showers and sun by afternoon.

May is usually like this, but I have seen 100F by the end of the month in years past.

Normally we dont really get into the summer swing until early to mid June.

Then its a good bet on nice weather until late september early October.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.