Thought I was done with the issues with my Quadrafire MVAE ... need help please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PelletGirl

Burning Hunk
Oct 25, 2014
Long Island, NY
Our stove has been working fine this season. I left my house for about twenty minutes and when I came home, the smoke smell was overwhelming. First thought was the stove so I went to check it and there was smoke coming out of the side near the top. I turned off the stove and opened the windows to air out my house. We called Quadrafire customer service and all they could say is it must be an extremely windy day (it's not) and the smoke blew back into the house upon start-up. Even if that was the case, how is it acceptable? I can't have my house smelling like smoke. Good thing I came home when I did or who knows how much smoke would have filled my house. We opened the hopper and the back and there does not appear to be anything out of line. There is no error code registered on the thermostat. Any ideas???

Just the usual question, when is the last time you cleaned it ( everything including the venting) ?

The venting was actually replaced at the end of last season after we were done with the stove - went from 3" pipe to 4" pipe and extended it past the house. We had issues with the install and the store where we bought it finally replaced it. So, it was clean at the beginning of this season as it was new.

The venting was actually replaced at the end of last season after we were done with the stove - went from 3" pipe to 4" pipe and extended it past the house. We had issues with the install and the store where we bought it finally replaced it. So, it was clean at the beginning of this season as it was new.
How many bags of pellets have run through the stove this season so far ?

Edit: I only bring this theme up because it fits and will really fit if you have run nearly a ton through the stove and not cleaned it. Most of these kinds of problems come down to a good cleaning needed. Just sayin.

Last edited:
We clean the stove 1x-2x per week and we've done a deep cleaning about 2x - 3x this season (turned the stove on mid to late October). We've used less than half ton of pellets so far. We've also cleaned the venting since the season started.

Reactions: Wessty
Was stove running when you came home? Did you pull ashpan to see if there was any smoldering pellets in it? What kind of termination cap do they have on top of pipe? Could a bird have gotten in it and plugged it? If this is still under warranty, I would be getting the dealer out there after you check these things, as that is his job if there is an issues, as I wouldn't hesitate to get him there if it was my stove. kap

I believe the stove was in start-up mode when I got home - definitely wasn't any flame. My husband checked the venting and termination (vortex or turbine or something like that - supposed to be more efficient - swivels to whatever degree you want on the end) - there was nothing in the vent. Have to check on the warranty.

Isn't this supposed to be a closed system - the firebox, out the venting to outside the house? How would any smoke leak out of the stove itself in the first place?

Did you check the ash pan like Kap said? Chances are that you missed a couple of ignition attempts and the unburned pellets were dropped into ash pan on top of still hot ashes and they began to smolder.

Reactions: rona
Hey PG,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your MVAE. Just trying to think of ways you could be be back drafting smoke into the house - was it possibly coming out of the heat exchanger system? There were several Quad owners last year who had one or more of their heat exchanger tubes separate from the connection at the back of the stove, although as I recall they all had Classic Bay models. Just something to check.

I concur with kap - get the dealer back out if it isn't something simple like smoldering pellets as mentioned.

Regards, DK

Last edited by a moderator:
The AE doesn't have heat exchanger tubes DK. It has a plate of cast fins that absorb the heat. And if you had smoldering fuel in ashpan, there are openings behind ashpan where the fresh air is drawn into, that can leak into the room. But it would really have to be something for the exhaust fan not to still draw it up thru firepot and out chimney. Even with a couple missed ignitions, the exhaust fan would still be running continuously. What is the configuration of your exhaust system? kap

Reactions: DMKNLD
The AE doesn't have heat exchanger tubes DK. It has a plate of cast fins that absorb the heat. And if you had smoldering fuel in ashpan, there are openings behind ashpan where the fresh air is drawn into, that can leak into the room. But it would really have to be something for the exhaust fan not to still draw it up thru firepot and out chimney. Even with a couple missed ignitions, the exhaust fan would still be running continuously. What is the configuration of your exhaust system? kap

I always forget kap that everything about the AE's is different than the other Quad models ! :) I know she had some protracted venting issues re smoke leaks and back draft probs, enduring more than her share of install misadventures. PG will fill you in on the details.

DK

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kappel15
We had one situation similar to this with our MVAE a couple of years ago, and it was caused by smoldering pellets dropping into the ash pan. I can't remember specific factors but as I recall it was after an autoclean, and they kept smoldering long enough for the blower to shut down. And yes, we have an OAK and about 4' of vertical on the vent. We woke up to a strong smoke smell and I took the ash pan outside and emptied it, resolving the problem. It has not occurred since, and I think it was just some weird combination of factors that allowed it to happen. I cannot remember if it was right before the monthly deep cleaning or not, but I do recall that the ash pan had a fair amount of ashes in it, and I think that contributed to the problem as the partially burned pellets were somewhat insulated from air rather like a banked fire, and that allowed them to burn after the blower shut down. Oddly, I don't recall our many smoke detectors detecting it, but the visible smoke itself was confined to that one room, which does not have a detector. Come to think of it, one of the dogs may have been the actual "detector", but I can't remember. There was never any actual danger of a fire given the small quantity of smoldering pellets.

I can't tell you what to do in this situation, but this is the only thing similar we've had happen in six seasons of burning pellets.

Last edited:
We found a few (only three or four) partially burned pellets in the ash pan. And the smoke wasn't coming from the ash pan area but on the right side under the lid. I thought the system was sealed so nothing should come out?

The new 4" venting comes out the back about a foot, then there is a T, then about 3-4 feet horizontal (with a slight angle of course), then a T, then about 3 feet up and about 3-4 feet out with the termination cap.

Was wondering if it some malfunction with the thermostat? Although no error code registered.

The new 4" venting comes out the back about a foot, then there is a T, then about 3-4 feet horizontal (with a slight angle of course), then a T, then about 3 feet up and about 3-4 feet out with the termination cap.

That sounds like alot of horizontal piping. Any pics of the vent?

Have to look to see if I have pics. The outside horizontal piping is to clear an overhang and also has the slight angle. We originally had the 3" and switched to the 4" due to the horizontals.

That sounds like alot of horizontal piping. Any pics of the vent?
You have potentially 7-8 ft of horizontal venting and two T's and one 3 ft vertical then ? If so that's one weird vent setup.

Reactions: Cedarjunki
Have to look to see if I have pics. The outside horizontal piping is to clear an overhang and also has the slight angle. We originally had the 3" and switched to the 4" due to the horizontals.

Im not saying i wouldnt do it if i had too.. im just curious how it actually looks. But i can imagine it would need to be cleaned alot more often.

Does the stove have an outside air kit?

Edit: From the manual: Installing the pellet vent with a minimum vertical run of 5 feet
It sounds like you have some install challenges ... has it been running well with the new install?

Last edited:
Im not saying i wouldnt do it if i had too.. im just curious how it actually looks. But i can imagine it would need to be cleaned alot more often.
I'm going to guess there is no matching diagram in the install manual.

Yes I have an OAK.

You cannot see the venting when looking at the stove except for a few inches between the stove and the wall (recommended clearances met). The stove is in a corner (again, clearances met) and after the pipe comes out the back, the T sends it horizontally to the left, then through the wall and to the next T. Then it goes up about 4 feet (I measured - its 4 not 3), then an elbow and outside. It has been working well and is not very dirty at all when we clean it. You see less venting with my stove than most others - actually really just see the stove when you look at it. The horizontal runs are actually about three feet each (checked them again).

Yes I have an OAK.

You cannot see the venting when looking at the stove except for a few inches between the stove and the wall (recommended clearances met). The stove is in a corner (again, clearances met) and after the pipe comes out the back, the T sends it horizontally to the left, then through the wall and to the next T. Then it goes up about 4 feet (I measured - its 4 not 3), then an elbow and outside. It has been working well and is not very dirty at all when we clean it. You see less venting with my stove than most others - actually really just see the stove when you look at it. The horizontal runs are actually about three feet each (checked them again).
Have you re fired the stove since the smoke incident ?

Yes we have - no more smoke coming out - working fine. Just trying to figure out what caused it so we can prevent it in the future.

I'm not sure if it's the MVAE but I was thinking that on one model Quad the outside air kit doesn't attach direct to the intake housing but a baffle or chamber near the intake housing . If that is the case a back draft could push smoke into the room if smoldering pellets were in the ash pan and the blower shut down. Just sayin if.

Thanks for the idea - I'm not sure if that's how ours works but I'll have my husband check it out. If that's the case, really nothing I can do other than not use the OAK, right?

Thanks for the idea - I'm not sure if that's how ours works but I'll have my husband check it out. If that's the case, really nothing I can do other than not use the OAK, right?
Oh you should use the OAK. It's just that on stoves where the OAK hooks right up to the intake housing and you get a back draft the smoke stays more contained within the system and or escapes outdoors instead of indoors. But we don't even know if this is the case with your stove or not..

Last edited:
Reactions: Cedarjunki
Status
Not open for further replies.