Thought I was seeing things, turning my stove into A/C!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Browsing my manual looking for a piece of information came across the below information. Sounds crazy to me.

HOW TO COOL IT IN THE SUMMER
Empty and clean the firebox of all ashes at the end of the heating season.

Fill four containers (plastic milk containers work very well) with water and freeze.

2. Place frozen containers inside the cleaned firebox on their sides.
3. Close doors and all dampers and switch the fan to the "manual" setting. This by-passes the
thermostat so the fan will run continuously.
Four one gallon frozen containers will provide reasonable cooling. Don't expect your stove to
cool as well as It heats, but this is a nice, extra feature for your benefit.

That's a "feature"?... give it a try and let us know.
Though I'd suggest not quite filling the milk jugs full to the brim.

Sounds pretty silly to me. If you froze the water in your kitchen freezer, you just heated up the house to freeze the water. Putting the jugs in the stove may cause condensation and rust. Why not just set them on the kitchen counter with a fan blowing on them, if you feel the need to watch ice thaw...?

Reactions: flyingcow
Can't believe they actually put it in the manual.

"Why not just set them on the kitchen counter with a fan blowing on them, if you feel the need to watch ice thaw...?"

The milk plant i deliver to gets dreadfully hot in the summer. The unloading and wash bays are seriously hot and humid. The office that we hang out in is next to it and not comfortable. But we have an unlimited supply of ice. Big tubs of ice water with a fan blowing across it, does provide some relief. Works pretty cecent

"Why not just set them on the kitchen counter with a fan blowing on them, if you feel the need to watch ice thaw...?"

The milk plant i deliver to gets dreadfully hot in the summer. The unloading and wash bays are seriously hot and humid. The office that we hang out in is next to it and not comfortable. But we have an unlimited supply of ice. Big tubs of ice water with a fan blowing across it, does provide some relief. Works pretty cecent

I agree completely, but you don't have a freezer in your office blowing out extra hot air, just to freeze the ice. Free ice is always welcome in the summer!

Reactions: flyingcow
Did they say how to deal with the condensate rusting out the firebox from the humid air being pulled over it?

Status
Not open for further replies.