Thought I'd be done by now!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCoBernie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2008
Friday, Saturday and Sunday....8hr days spent splitting and Im about 2/3rds of the way done. I have no idea how many cords I'll end up with after its all split....hopefully I'll be set for 2011 and 2012. I have about 5 cords on hand for 2010 that was split last year and is already stacked. I ran out of wood in Feb and vowed it would never happen again! Finding burnable wood that late in the game was a major PITA.

All of this was scrounged. I still have to cut some logs down to size but im saving that for last, I want to get everything thats ready to be split finished first. enjoy.

th_3.jpg

th_4.jpg

th_1.jpg

th_2.jpg

th_5.jpg

You have been at it, to hot for that here!

smokinjay said:

It was 90*+ the 1st 2 days, in the mid-high 80s yesterday and today. It sucks but im under a big maple tree today so its shady. I was out in the driveway under a patio umbrella to keep the sun off me.

BucksCoBernie said:
smokinjay said:

It was 90*+ the 1st 2 days, in the mid-high 80s yesterday and today. It sucks but im under a big maple tree today so its shady. I was out in the driveway under a patio umbrella to keep the sun off me.

I tried yesterday to make a couple bench's for around the fire pit (some scrape from milling) and was getting dizzy. Think I am still a little dehydrated from my kayak trip.

nice job bernie you have a nice size load of wood did you buy a logsplitter! i am done for this year of splitting and stacking 2 many of other projects 2 do around the house.

nah rented one for $300/wk. Planned on banging this all out over the weekend but Im gonna have to keep it till Friday....Im off this week so I can get it all done. Im not looking forward to stacking haha.

BucksCoBernie said:
nah rented one for $300/wk. Planned on banging this all out over the weekend but Im gonna have to keep it till Friday....Im off this week so I can get it all done. Im not looking forward to stacking haha.

Holly crap 300.00 a week wish you lived closer!

smokinjay said:
BucksCoBernie said:

Holly crap 300.00 a week wish you lived closer!

yep thats the rate around here. Im going to pick up a splitter once I get some extra $$.

You are a hard working man! Nice job.

Hey, if you are moving the wood after it is split, why not put that trailer right next to the splitter and throw the splits right onto it rather than handling it one extra time? One time I did some splitting and moving like that so I'd split a trailer load, go stack it and then split more.

Backwoods Savage said:
You are a hard working man! Nice job.

Hey, if you are moving the wood after it is split, why not put that trailer right next to the splitter and throw the splits right onto it rather than handling it one extra time? One time I did some splitting and moving like that so I'd split a trailer load, go stack it and then split more.

Thanks! I put about 1/3 of the maple on the trailer but Im renting the splitter so time is of the essence! I gotta bang out as much as i can while I have it and then stack everything once i return the splitter. If I had my own splitter I would absolutely pull the trailer up next to the splitter and do as you said.

I returned the splitter yesterday. My pile is 20 paces long x 4 paces wide x about 5ft tall. Still have a little left to cut and split but i can do it by hand when the weather cools off a bit.....i want to focus on getting my driveway back haha

Most of this is maple, oak and cherry.
1-1.jpg

Some Elm and Poplar in this pic. Figured the poplar would help me save some of the good stuff for the colder months instead of burning from the good pile right away and not having it when i needed the most. learned that last winter lol.
2-1.jpg

It looks like you got your money out of that rental. When do the stacking fairies show up?

Nice pile of wood! It should be a comfortable winter out your way!

BucksCoBernie said:
I returned the splitter yesterday. My pile is 20 paces long x 4 paces wide x about 5ft tall. Still have a little left to cut and split but i can do it by hand when the weather cools off a bit.....i want to focus on getting my driveway back haha

Most of this is maple, oak and cherry.
1-1.jpg

Some Elm and Poplar in this pic. Figured the poplar would help me save some of the good stuff for the colder months instead of burning from the good pile right away and not having it when i needed the most. learned that last winter lol.
2-1.jpg

Nice Piles!!!!

Nice work BCB, did you split all that with the electric splitter?

zap

zapny said:

zap

No the electric splitter isnt tough enough to handle some of the stuff i was splitting. I rented a gas powered 26 ton splitter for a week.

BucksCoBernie said:
zapny said:

zap

No the electric splitter isnt tough enough to handle some of the stuff i was splitting. I rented a gas powered 26 ton splitter for a week.

26 ton splitter had to be nice working with.

zap

BucksCoBernie said:

You are a wise man Bernie.

BucksCoBernie said:
zapny said:

zap

Sorry BCB I just scrolled up and saw the splitter. :red:

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.