Thought it was maple.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulywalnut

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2012
Kennett Square, PA
After cutting and splitting about a half a cord of what I thought was maple,
turned out to be good old Box Elder. The red streaks running through it
made me come in and google Box Elder. Oh well its in the maple family.:oops:

Right, it is in the maple family. Good wood for late spring or early fall. We've burned it before.

Respect your Elder. ==c

Last time I brought some box elder home and saw the low btu output I said to myself, "at least its better than cottonwod"

The guy I buy my Shaker boxes from says the really heavily streaked Elder brings as much as 300.00 a block if the red stains are particularly vivid. If you have a nicely marked tree you may want to consider selling the wood. It burns worse than cottonwood so you arent loosing anything btu wize.
They sell blocks on Etsy. I had a really intense raspberry streaked one and I wished I had known that before it all got cooked up in the stove.

Wow. Thanks Apple, I'll keep that in mind. Its streaked red but not sure
what a good amount would be. At the price you quoted I have about
$300,000.00 worth:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.