Thought of another way to bring wood in to the garage for next winter...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
This is to bring wood in from the tarped driveway pile.
I figure assemble the foldable HF trailer and put some sides on it, move it around with a manual trailer dolly, throw a bunch of wood in it and move it back into the garage. Would potentially only have to stoop once when picking up low pieces at the stack and could move it out of the way in case had to get at something. I figure the advantage would be that there wouldn't be that many trips to draw down the pile.

sounds like a plan,velvet!

I love having my wood stacked in the garage. It's so convient.

velvetfoot said:
This is to bring wood in from the tarped driveway pile.
I figure assemble the foldable HF trailer and put some sides on it, move it around with a manual trailer dolly, throw a bunch of wood in it and move it back into the garage. Would potentially only have to stoop once when picking up low pieces at the stack and could move it out of the way in case had to get at something. I figure the advantage would be that there wouldn't be that many trips to draw down the pile.

Get a hookaroon and save your back from bending over. Wish I'd gotten one years ago.

I like the compact hook on the LogRite tool; beware of cheap knock-offs on Northern Tool.

basswidow said:

I know. That's where my wood is now. I love it. I can get a little paranoid thinking about potential bug issues though.

I have my covered in the back yard once a week or so i get out the kubota and go get some for the week and dump it right by the back door seems to work really good. If the snow gets too deep i might have to use a plastic sled to get it to the back door. If i had more room i would build walls on pallets and move a pallet at a time.

The pile is on the blacktop close to the garage, but you're right, there's a slight slope away from the garage which could slow things down. I move around the 550 lb splitter ok though. I don't want to buy (and store) any more stuff than I have to. I'd use the wheelbarrow.

My dad has a similar system. Hook 4x6 trailer up to ATV, load it, back it into garage and unhook. He sets the tongue on one of the 4-wheel moving dollies to move the trailer once in the garage. The woodpile is much further away and harder to get to than what you describe...that's why he uses the ATV.

velvetfoot said:
...move it around with a manual trailer dolly...
If this is what you mean, it would probably be fine going up a slight grade as long as it's not too icy.

trailer-tow-dolly.jpg

Or even pull it with the lawn mower.

My Dad keeps telling me to do that and I flatly refuse. It would be so much of a fire hazard for me it's not even funny. Just ONE stray spark from welding or grinding and my garage/house would be burnt to the ground.

basswidow said:

basswidow said:

+1 - I haul 3 weeks of wood into a small room (dressing room for the sauna, which we don't use) off the attached garage. Works awesome. Last year, I would burn though the whole stack and then replenish over a couple hours on a Friday afternoon. This year, I've been just heading out and hauling some wood whenever the mood strikes me. Either way, I love having day upon day of nice dry wood so near the stove and never running outside when it's time to load the stove. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.