thought this day would never come

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abrucerd

Aug 22, 2007
Central MA
4.5 tons and 500$ of chimney repairs later, I FINALLY had my first burn last night. Got the house up to 80 degrees... just because.

Ready for winter!

Abrucerd,

Was the $500 for chimney repairs for a SS liner or were other repairs needed? Just wondering . . . .

Also, please remember, we LOVE pictures.

Glad you are finally burning! Enjoy.

Ranger

Yes, Yes picture. We need pictures.

80 degrees, One way to take a trip south with out leaving home. Must have been sweating.

Glad you ready for Mr. Winter.

$500 dollars because of my damaged chimney pipe. Long story short... needed to replace the pipe, but couldn't do it without taking the flashing boot off... which was custom made. Tried to do it myself... but got up on the roof and started taking shingles off and realized I was in over my head... called the pros.

It was all very aggravating... so much so that I avoided coming to this site because the thought of the rest of you firing up your stoves already angered me so.

That headache aside, enjoy the pic (I know I am)!

Attachments

• downsize.jpg
    downsize.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 480
Sorry to hear about the aggravation, but hey, now it's done....a year from now you'll look back, and it won't seem like it was a big deal. AND you'll be able to think of all the nice, WARM nights you had during the winter.

Thanks for the pic...looks great!

PS The pumpkin was a nice touch.. :)

I've got $400 just for a 10' run of 3" duravent simpson pipe. That's for 3-90 deg.; 10' pipe; clean-out tee; stove to pipe adapter; direct vent termination fitting; 1 wall hanger clamp; oh yeah 2 bags of pellets. I only gave $200 for the stove. And, like you, I'm glad that's behind me I can stay warm now. bjr23

abrucerd,

I know the aggravation factor all too well. I had to use 25' of 4" stainless steel flex pipe to line my flue as I have a fieldstone fireplace/chimney with no liner at all. just bare stones. The very top of the chimney has a 13"x13"x3' long clay pipe in it (thank God so I could attach the chimney cap). The flex pipe, chimney cap, the 4"-3" adaptor, the cleanout Tee and a couple of other doodads to get from the Tee cost me a bit more than $500. What a friggin' pain it was to get that flex pipe down that chimney too. I feel your pain. But it's done and done right...don't have to worry about it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.