Thought this was pine, but now not sure...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
This wood has a very rough bark, will rip your skin off. I don't have any leafs as it was road kill. Logs are very heavy, thought it was water weight, but its only about 35%. Is it some kind of pine?

20131023_100500.jpg 20131023_100505.jpg

Inside does not look like pine to me... maybe a cherry?

looks to be what I call black cherry here in north jersey. i have a bunch on my property seasons pretty fast for its weight.

Yep, cherry. I got a bunch of it in the spring. Nice stuff.

wow, maybe there's more where i got this. utility/town shoulder maintenance.

cherry or red pine

cherry would be tighter grain and hardwood
pine would be wide grain/growth rings softwood

if it doesn't smell like a 2x4 then probably cherry

Love cherry in the stove for when company comes by, gives a faint aroma that is very nice, same for hard maple.

I just resplit and checked a piece of the cherry (like this cherry) that I got back in March. The meter reads 14%, but after consulting the temperature and species correction charts it's probably more like 19-20%. Looks like I can put at least the smaller splits to use this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.