Thoughts on a second chain saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's catchy. Just went and checked out a husky 550xp. I think I'm in love lol.

Hey it is kind of looking like looking at puppies. Nobody goes and looks at a puppy without getting one.

BTW, I don't know how cold it get there, but if it does get cold, consider the "G" models of the 550XP. Once you have saws with heated handles, you won't buy one without it.

I would not look at the 400 series as I believe they are a clam shell design. The best bang for the buck is the 545 which you can get for around $425. The 545 is a 1/4hp less but also weighs 2#'s less which is huge. The 460 is not an auto tune which is going to be the wave of the future.

Specs on the 460:

60.3 cc, 3.62 hp, 13"-20", 12.79 lbs
from
47995-a4dfa888.png

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price*

Specs on the 545 and 555 and 550XP:

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/landsca...s/compare-chainsaws/?nid=503223,503125,503100

Reactions: TreePointer
I ended up with an MS 170. Went out and played with it today, I really liked it. Can't wait to have it broken in. Compared to the 290 it's a feather. I got a 14" bar so it is very maneuverable.

I've read that many of you all will run the saws stock through the warranty then start to modify them. Do you all have some suggestions on sites to visit, or threads to read that would be applicable to upgrading or modifying my stihls? Also, are there things I should do to them now that wouldn't void the warranty?

Reactions: jeffesonm
It's unreal what some of those guys over there know. I have done alot of lurking over there and learned alot. It has given me the confidence to work on my own saws, which never crossed my mind before.

Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder...the desire to acquire different chainsaws whether needed or not.

Terrible affliction. Luckily I got vaccinated about 15 years back. Her name's Vickie.

That girl can smell a recent purchase.

To late for my suggestion, did you look at the small Echos? , good saws good weight

To late for my suggestion, did you look at the small Echos? , good saws good weight
I'll second that. I bought a T435 for the purposes the OP describes, but I do wish I gave the Echo top-handles a better look before purchase. I've owned two Echo chainsaws in the past, and both were as reliable as lead.

Reactions: HDRock
I did end up making a decision, going with a Stihl MS170. I have to say that having cut down several trees after my purchase both with my 290 and 170, trees up to 3.5 ft in diameter, that I'm very happy with my purchases. The more I use my 170 the more I love it. Now, I haven't used other saws to be able to compare, and if I had unlimited cash I would have got one of stihls higher end models, but I don't, so I didn't. I just thought I'd add a resolution to my original questions. I did get a look from my wife the other day when I was looking at my stihl catalog at the MS461!

Reactions: D8Chumley and pen
I did end up making a decision, going with a Stihl MS170. I have to say that having cut down several trees after my purchase both with my 290 and 170, trees up to 3.5 ft in diameter, that I'm very happy with my purchases.
You're cutting 42" trees with a 170 and a 290?!? :rolleyes: Sort of like applying road salt to the full length of I-95 in an ice storm, with nothing but a shovel and wheelbarrow, no?

Reactions: HDRock
I did end up making a decision, going with a Stihl MS170. I have to say that having cut down several trees after my purchase both with my 290 and 170, trees up to 3.5 ft in diameter, that I'm very happy with my purchases. The more I use my 170 the more I love it. Now, I haven't used other saws to be able to compare, and if I had unlimited cash I would have got one of stihls higher end models, but I don't, so I didn't. I just thought I'd add a resolution to my original questions. I did get a look from my wife the other day when I was looking at my stihl catalog at the MS461!
42" trees? Seems like you need a 70cc or better saw, just sayin

The 170 should serve you well,The only reason I bought my 180 is it was on sale and cheaper than a 170 at the time
I love my 290/180 combo,truth be known I use the 180 the most but then again I cut a lot of dead Ash in the under 6" range but once the trees get into 10" + range my 290 gets plenty of use.

I have processed over 300 face cord in the past 5 years with very little problems.

Reactions: D8Chumley and Jbels
The 170 should serve you well,The only reason I bought my 180 is it was on sale and cheaper than a 170 at the time.....

I glad to hear that. I've been more than happy with my combo thus far. and I too find myself reaching for the 170 a lot. It is light handy and has plenty of power for what I've been asking it to do. Plus for $169 it was easy to convince my wife that I should get it.

I'm currently working on a trade for a moderately used ms361. Although I may keep my ms271 for light duty work with an 18" bar and just pay the asking price for the 361. On another note echo has got some very nice small and medium duty saws in their line up now I've been looking hard at the CS -590-20 . Supposed to be a good saw. Something to consider

I'm currently working on a trade for a moderately used ms361. Although I may keep my ms271 for light duty work with an 18" bar and just pay the asking price for the 361. On another note echo has got some very nice small and medium duty saws in their line up now I've been looking hard at the CS -590-20 . Supposed to be a good saw. Something to consider
Echo has a full range of saws to meet your needs

I'm currently working on a trade for a moderately used ms361. Although I may keep my ms271 for light duty work with an 18" bar and just pay the asking price for the 361. r
Don't mean to imply you're stupid, but 12cc less and the same exact weight? Why in the world would you keep that 271? You will never use it again, with that 361 in the shed.

Get the 361 and be done. If you are gonna do a one saw plan - thats the saw to do it with.

Get the 361 and be done. If you are gonna do a one saw plan - thats the saw to do it with.
Good plan, unless you do your own felling and limbing, in which case I'd insist on two saws:

1. MS361 for felling and bucking.
2. 30cc top handle for limbing and marking lengths prior to bucking.

Then, if you find yourself felling big stuff:

3. MS660 for felling and bucking big stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.