Thoughts on CL stove for shop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickle

Jan 20, 2013
East Central Missouri
Looking for a shop wood stove on craigslist. Came across this one. Have a look and let me know what you think - http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/3695448645.html

Emailed the guy, asked why he is selling, he says he is going to LP gas heater.

Asked information about the stove and he says it is a Womack Hersey under the Energy King stove company, model #wh1638.

I thought Womack Hersey didn't make stoves, they just certified them. I also can't find that model number anywhere.

Is this an overfired stove he is dumping?

Attachments

• 3E93G63Je5E85K15H9d3l27e640b6dcf91f76.jpg
    3E93G63Je5E85K15H9d3l27e640b6dcf91f76.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 3Md3Ie3Jd5Ib5G25J8d3lb93036e514ad1e7b.jpg
    3Md3Ie3Jd5Ib5G25J8d3lb93036e514ad1e7b.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 152
That is a good deal, (out my way) you are correct Warnock Hersey is a testing lab. Very hard to ruin a steel plate stove, most you would have to do is gasket and fire brick. Found this site, maybe you can contact and get more info.:cool:
http://www.energyking.com/about_ek.php

You certainly can't beat the price if the stove looks okay when you inspect it. Once you see it in person you should be able to decide pretty quick if this is the sort of stove you're looking for. It's hard to tell from the photo how big the stove is. Good luck.

. Very hard to ruin a steel plate stove, most you would have to do is gasket and fire brick.

I dont agree- i've seen too many damaged stoves
many have welded secondaries, almost all have air plenums that can burn thru

OP, i'd ask for pics of the inside of the firebox

Could be a nice find. At that price you would lose much even if not perfect. Ignore the pipe, it's worthless if it is single-wall being used outdoors. See if you can get some interior shots of the stove and a clear photo of the Warnock Hersey testing plate on the back of the stove.

If the you can't find anything that wrong inside that jumps out at you, I'd jump on a deal like that.
I've also been keeping my eyes open for a modern EPA stove for my shop to replace the old smoke dragon that's in there now, I have yet to find any deals anything remotely like that in our local CL or Kijiji, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.