Thoughts on fireplace conversion to wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seastrike

Apr 15, 2009
Central Massachusetts
Im looking to covert std fireplace to wood insert or freestanding wood stove.
Im concerned about the benefit of either and asking help from the experts.
The stove would sit in a 21x24 room with large windowns and a vaulted ceiling w/ fan. The room is at the end of a colonial sytle home, above a cold garage. There is a 7'x7' doorway that separates the room from the rest of the house. Now to my concern...Will the heat from the stove exit the room the stove will be situated in and benefit me by adding heat to the rest of the home ?

Also- Is an insert the best way to go. ? Ive added a pic in hopes to stimulate some discussion that leads me to the right decision. THANKS.

Attachments

• DSC_0030.jpg
    DSC_0030.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 1,133
If you put an insert into the fireplace.......

You will be smart enough to include a insert-fan as part of the package. Inserts aren't worth crap without one.
You will immediately HEAT your home, instead of blowing heat out of your home.
You will fee a large difference between your room with the insert, compared to rooms without the insert, maybe 10 degrees.
You will make it 5 degrees when you add strategically-placed fans
Your heating bill will drop, perhaps 50%.
Your pets will become your best friends, curling up next to the fire and loving everything thats you, the fire-master.
You will want to prepare for next year, and start getting wood
Your wife and children will make fun of you and "your wood"
You will spend hundreds of dollars on splitting mauls, chainsaws, gloves, ash cans, etc to get "free wood".
You will find an incredible "score" with hundreds of dollars of logs you'll get for free
Your wife no longer finds it funny ......
You'll burn because the house has dropped to 63 degrees, even though its 55 and sunny outside.
Your children will be embarrassed when their friends come over and say "what's with all the wood???"
You'll be warm, warm, warm every winter for the next 20 years
You'll check the Hearth Boards 2-3 times a day, and tell others why you're addicted to wood burning
You won't know exactly why it feels good to burn wood instead of paying your utilities, but you know it does.

Good post stockdoct! That was entertaining and close to the truth for many of us.

Seastrike, welcome. That is a really beautiful fireplace. If you could post the dimensions of the firebox (HxWxD) then we can figure out an insert that might do it justice. A freestanding stove in front of it would also work. The hearth might need to be extended but that is possible.

As far as the heat getting out of the room and into the house, it isn't likely to happen unless there is some fan assistance. For that we'd need to know a bit more about what the 7' wide opening connects with. Is it a hallway, another room, a stairway? If stairway, does it go downstairs or up?

Welcome to your new hobby, and I agree with EVERYTHING stockdoct said. We put in the BIS Tradition this past summer and my wife hated how much I talked about wood, etc. I asked her how she liked it in mid-December when the HVAC furnace had not been on in weeks and the house was 5-8 degrees warmer than when we had the HVAC on (we averaged about 74 degrees all winter in the house). She smugly apologized and said she loved my new hobby.

Anyway, we dropped 53% off our combined electricity and gas bill! It looked like a fireplace and kicks out heat like a stove. BIS stands for Built In Stove. Happy hobby!

The only one I have to disagree with stockdoct is that inserts are crap without the blower. Yes some are. There are also inserts that have alot of exposure to the room and dont sit flush with the face of the old fireplace that have a large exposed radiant area.
A blower would not be required for one of these in the shoulder season or sized according to the room area to heat without the blower. I did enjoy your post stockdoct and could relate to all of it one way or the other. :)
N of 60

I just got done doing this at my house and i cant believe the difference between the insert and just the fireplace. My living room is 26 foot square then about a 5 foot doorway into the kitchen and both rooms stay about the same temp. The weather has been milder here but still chilly but i think it is going to heat very well. The insert has a blower on it and i use a cieling fan on low. very good investment.

north of 60 said:
The only one I have to disagree with stockdoct is that inserts are crap without the blower. Yes some are. There are also inserts that have alot of exposure to the room and dont sit flush with the face of the old fireplace that have a large exposed radiant area.
A blower would not be required for one of these in the shoulder season or sized according to the room area to heat without the blower. I did enjoy your post stockdoct and could relate to all of it one way or the other. :)
N of 60

Agreed here for sure - definitely worthwhile to get a blower but not a necessity. I would not want to get through winter without one but I could. And in the shoulder seasons, I definitely keep the blower off at times.

Stockdock, Absolutely priceless !! I'm also expecting the stove to "warm" up the wife a wee bit...:)

To all - Thanks for the responses. I'll check fire box dimensions and post back this eve.

CTwoodburner- I'm sure you are pleased w/ that Olympic stove. The Ranier is one of my top considerations at this point !

Stay Warm !

Very nice fireplace. You will not be disappointed with a nice quality insert. It will keep the beauty of the room, but actually serve a purpose. I did a lot of research and went with the Avalon Olympic insert. I am very satisfied with it. I opted not to go with the optional blower and it works just fine. It was nice this winter when it got to -39* and it was a toasty 78* in my living room! Good luck and enjoy your search.

Seastrike said:
Stockdock, Absolutely priceless !! I'm also expecting the stove to "warm" up the wife a wee bit...:)

To all - Thanks for the responses. I'll check fire box dimensions and post back this eve.

CTwoodburner- I'm sure you are pleased w/ that Olympic stove. The Ranier is one of my top considerations at this point !

Stay Warm !

Our neighbors have the Ranier. It's a well-built insert that can really put out some heat.

Seastrike said:

Stay Warm !

Yep - love the Olympic. She actually got fed her last piece of wood this AM til next fall. BTW - I love my Jotul too. An easier stove to operate to an extent - and an ash pan, which is a nice feature. Pros and cons to free standing stoves and inserts for sure...all dependent on the users preferences and the house it is heating. Like with the Olympic - I can guarantee I watch some football games in shorts in the late fall for sure...

Hi -

I was in the same boat. I have used several inserts and do not dislike them, especially with a fan.

However I went with a freestanding stove. Yes I had to add a bit of Durock hardboard and a layer of marble that raised the area in front of the Hearth about an inch. I'm warm and toasty whether the power company is doing their thing or not. No fan noise either. If you want to burn overnight and most of us do, look for something with a 3 cubic foot capacity in the firebox.

Enjoy!
Mike P

An insert is definitely the way to go.

If you're planning on starting to heat with wood this coming winter, then you need to get busy now accumulating your wood so you have some hope of it being dry enough to burn. As it is now, you're a little late since the wood you burn this coming winter should have been drying since last summer.

The neat thing to remember is that every BTU of heat you get out of the stove is a BTU that you save in oil or gas.

There's plenty of free wood to be had here in MA with the big ice storm we had this winter. Go get it before it's all claimed.

If you have the option, I'd recommend your insert "stick out" from the fireplace as far as your installer (or you) can make it work. The part that's sticking out radiates TONS of heat into the room, and I'm going to learn --- just for the fun of it --- to use it as a cookstove ... braising meat, warming soups and vegetables, slow cooking Dutch oven stuff.

I initially wanted the insert to be flush with the fire place, but I'm SO glad I eventually asked for it to stick out 6" or so.

I had the option of a wood stove or an insert as well, so I understand where you're coming from.

I opted for the insert (with extended front & fan) because my masonary chimney is in the middle of the house, and had a passive heatalator system built into it. Even with the insert installed, the system is still working.

I'm quite happy with my set up.

That said, if I had had an exterior chimney, I probably would have gone with a wood stove.

Good luck with your search, you're going to gain alot of knowledge along the way ! I reccommend getting out and kicking tires when it comes to selecting a unit, my own 2 cents :)

Welcome Seastrike!!
Not sure how much reading on the Forum you`ve done,,, but you will be looking to install a Block-Off plate in the fireplace, and also a chimney liner to match your stove selection. As far as sizing the stove,,,you will need to post more info on your floor plan so these guys can better help you decide on trying to heat a zone or multiple zones. Certainly fans will help,,provided everyone will be happy with that application. Having a blower will pull cold air across the floor from the least resistant area causing warmer air to migrate in that direction. I can walk a circle between my 4 rooms, and the blower causes air to migrate in that circle. The mentioned large firebox,,,will certainly cut down on tending the fire as often, but may heat you out of the room if you cant move the air. You will love the savings as long as you grow to love the work as well.My gas for last month was $30 and a lot of that were charges other than "gas usage"

Thank you all for the great feedback / ideas.
Sounds like an insert is what I'm most interested in.

As for the firebox dimensions:

Height: 25"
Width: 38" Front / 16" Rear
Depth: 20"
Depth of Hearth: 20"
Height to Mantle: 63"

Again, Goals are:
1) Heat Large Room for comfort
2) Add supplemental heat to home as best as possible.

THANKS Again !

I have a similar hearth situation. I like the idea of radiant heat from an insert that "sticks out" into the room. Not a big fan of noise. However, if I'm reading your above numbers correctly; you only have 20" extension in front of the fireplace. This will limit your options because the typical clearance of non-combustables is 16" in front of the firebox door. In other words, you only have 4" to work with unless you build/buy a non-combustable pad to put in front of the existing hearth.
You still have dozens of inserts to choose from. Happy hunting.

Thanks for "Goals" update: It appears heating a large,vaulted room with large windows comfortably is your primary goal, and any supplementary heating would be nice. I believe your floor plan could afford a large fire box, without over heating the room. I`m a DIY guy always focusing on economics, and must pinch myself sometimes to realize not everyone is! That being said, if economics is not a strong consideration then extending the hearth for a free standing soap-stone stove, could be a beautful addition to that beautiful fireplace. The hearth pad may be difficult to match, however a total replacement of contrasting color could complement each item. No noisy blower to listen too and many people swear by the radiant heat. Personally, I envy the possibility

I have a situation similar to yours. After a house fire last spring due to the fireplace, the fireplace was rebuilt similar to yours and had a napoleon 1402 insert with dual blowers and full chiminy liner instaled with block off plate. On -5 below days, house was 92 inside when I was home. Gas bill $14.00/MONTH plus transmission fees. DUE TO hot water heater and gas stove. Best investment I ever made and little chance of another fire. They placed a Homesaver liner in chiminy with poured in insulation due to size. House is warm even when working 12+ hours and had coals to restart after returning home at night burning oak during these times.

Seastrike said:
Thank you all for the great feedback / ideas.
Sounds like an insert is what I'm most interested in.

As for the firebox dimensions:

Height: 25"
Width: 38" Front / 16" Rear
Depth: 20"
Depth of Hearth: 20"
Height to Mantle: 63"

Again, Goals are:
1) Heat Large Room for comfort
2) Add supplemental heat to home as best as possible.

THANKS Again !

The members from Central Mass are building up quick.....where you at SeaStrike?

How high is the cathedral ceiling at it peak? As you know, heat rises and ceiling fans will help move that heat down the walls. You should be fine in the stove room because you're at about 500 sq ft but those ceilings will rob some of that heat.

The other rooms will get heat but keep in mind, the futher away from the stove, the cooler it will be.

How far are the stairs that lead upstairs? I get great heat upstairs in my colonial because the stove is about 12 feet from stairs.

Get the biggest stove you can fit and it's best it sticks out on the hearth for radiant heat as well as the blower.

Also, if you are serious, you need to get the wood now and let it season. Get 5 cords if you plan to burn 24x7.

Oh, another central MA guy here too!

Thanks again for all the thoughts.

The stairway is ~20 ft from the location of the fire box (which, in a few months, will be an insert), so this won't be a primary heat source for the house. Ive been looking at the Avalon Ranier, which I now understand, may be undersized, and the Quadra fire 4100 is also impressive (though may be a bit out of the $$ range) ! I'll also plan to add a hearth and sit the stove somewhat out of the box to take advantage of the radiant heating capabilities of the insert.

The weekend wood collecting has begun. There's a ton of debris due to the Dec. Ice Storm, chainsaw is being used regularly, Ax, Maul all need resharpening already. Yup - The craze has hit !

Thanks to all - Ive learned a ton from all of you and in the next 1-3 months will be making a purchase ! Can't wait for that 1st blaze !

Regards and Thanks to all.

Hey Seastrike: Believe or not I really wish I was healed up enough to gather wood. When I do get out I`m seeing it all over also. Just a thought,,,An Axe is primarily for chopping and such , unless designed for splitting, and I found one time that if it is too sharp, then it will stick in the round rather than split it. I discovered this one time , when I was really pooped-out and wanted to swing something lighter :down: Purchased a lighter maul after that!

Hello all -
Thanks to the wealth of information on Hearth.com and your valuable inputs,
We ended up selecting the Jotul 550 insert, as many of you have.

She arrives and gets installed this coming tuesday.
Like a kid at X-Mas, I'm barely sleeping with the anticipation of that 1st fire !!
Pardon the pun, but I am completely "fired-up". :).
I'll post pics once completed.

Any sugggestions for those initial burns ?

Status
Not open for further replies.