Thoughts on Kink/Crimp? (Photos Included)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BostonMatt

Sep 4, 2017
Worcester, MA
Evening all,

First time poster here; but long time reader. (photos attached for reference).

Looking to get some thoughts on a kink/crimp I have in my new liner. Its a 6" Stainless Steel liner for an Enviro Wood Burning Stove.

Put the liner in today after cutting out the flue and noticed that because of the angle coming into the firebox, there is a spot where the liner is pressing against the edge of the bricks, or edge of the old flue. There is no hole in the liner, but its kinked.

-Thoughts on using the stove while the liner is pressed against the edge and kinked?
-Might heat expansion cause a hole?

Thanks in advance! :)
Matt

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1631.JPG
    IMG_1631.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_1633.JPG
    IMG_1633.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Don't look that bad to me. No hole, I'd burn.

In your opinion Hogwildz, (or experience) do you think the expansion and contraction from heating each time will cause a hole from rubbing against the flue edge/lip?
It may yes light wall liner like you have is really thin. The kink while not good should be ok. But i would be concerned about the liner on the edge

It may yes light wall liner like you have is really thin. The kink while not good should be ok. But i would be concerned about the liner on the edge

Thank you BHoller. Any recommendations on a course of action (one you might take)?

As much as I do not want to, I was thinking to pull the whole thing out again and get up there to see if I can remedy that edge or kink somehow...<>

If i was installing it i would pull it up clear some more to make more room then cut off the dameged section and add a peice to the top if need be

If i was installing it i would pull it up clear some more to make more room then cut off the dameged section and add a peice to the top if need be

Do you know the part name/type of the connector I should purchase to add a piece to the top? Male-to-male or male-to-female better to use?
(I have plenty of clearance as the flue at the top is 11.5 in x 11.5 in).

Thanks again for your help BHoller.

In your opinion Hogwildz, (or experience) do you think the expansion and contraction from heating each time will cause a hole from rubbing against the flue edge/lip?
I honestly don't think that it will expand & contract enough to cause a hole. It is easy enough to check and keep an eye on. At minimal annually with each cleaning. Initially, if it makes you feel more comfortable, check monthly. The only other option is pull the stove, and lift liner, then remove the object it is resting against.

I honestly don't think that it will expand & contract enough to cause a hole. It is easy enough to check and keep an eye on. At minimal annually with each cleaning. Initially, if it makes you feel more comfortable, check monthly. The only other option is pull the stove, and lift liner, then remove the object it is resting against.
I have seen it happen many times.

Do you know the part name/type of the connector I should purchase to add a piece to the top? Male-to-male or male-to-female better to use?
(I have plenty of clearance as the flue at the top is 11.5 in x 11.5 in).

Thanks again for your help BHoller.
You will want a female to male liner connector. And make sure the male end is pointing down

I have seen it happen many times.

You will want a female to male liner connector. And make sure the male end is pointing down

Thanks guys.

Here is a link I just put on YouTube to a short 40 second clip of the crimp (located in my first post at the top).
If you have any further comments/concerns after watching, I appreciate it.
Happy burning guys!

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Here is a link I just put on YouTube to a short 40 second clip of the crimp (located in my first post at the top).
If you have any further comments/concerns after watching, I appreciate it.
Happy burning guys!
Again i dont really think that kink will cause an issue but if you are pulling the liner to clear what it is hitting i would fix it