Thoughts on my new Blaze King Princess insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patapsco Mike

Feeling the Heat
Jun 3, 2008
Maryland
I have been burning my Princess insert over the past 2 months and thought I would post my thoughts about the Princess vs. my former stoves (and in particular, my last stove the Avalon Olympic).

A little history….. I have in the last 10 years burned a step-top non-EPA Fisher, a new VC large Dutchwest cat, and an Avalon Olympic. I was very happy with the performance of my Avalon stove. My decision to switch to a Princess was based on reviews from this forum, the long shoulder season here in MD, the tax rebate, and the $1,200 I got for my used but like-new Olympic... I read all the posts and there were not any negatives coming from Blaze King owners. It sounded sort of cult-ish, but those long burn times sure sounded nice and the Olympic did not have great burn times with small loads (and maxed out at about 9 hours even full of oak). I went through a terrific amount of wood in 2008/2009.

Right away I was a thrilled with my purchase. The operation seemed simple compared to my Dutchwest, and even easier than with the Avalon. The whole concept of the catalytic converter came back to me like riding a bike, and it is soooooo much easier than with the VC. Instead of 2 air controls with no index to either, there is one air control with an index. After 2 months I remain thrilled and thought I’d share my PRO’s and CON’s.

CON’s
1) Blackened glass and lack of flame view. It's now second nature for me, upon seeing any flame at all, to dial down the thermostat. It just feels like I'm wasting wood. So while no smoke leaves my stack, my glass stays mostly black and I do miss the view.
2) Cheap plastic air contol and fan knobs. They work, but I'd like something a little nicer.
3) Smaller door than my Olympic. I fail to see why the door could not be 4 or 5" wider. That would be great. I miss the giant door on my Olympic.
4) The cat temp dial is not easy to view. You have to be over the stove to even see it. Likewise the air control index is low and to the side of the stove. Again, not easy to view. I need to get on my hands and knees with my head on the side of the stove to see the index marks (thought this is partly due to my set-up).

PRO’s
1) Long burns. Crazy long. Leave for work at 6:15, come home at 5 and the cat is still active and there are hefty chunks of blackened wood glowing. That's with a stove not crammed with wood, packed mostly full, but not trying hard to jam it full. Just amazing.
2) Simple operation. Open one lever, open the door. Add wood. Close the door. Close the lever. Come back in 9-12 hours. I find myself only loading a log or two at a time just so I have an excuse to mess with the stove (see #1). Even with small loads there is never a need to mess with the controls.
3) Wood savings. Last year I burned a wheelbarrow full a day. I have cut that in half. I don't expect anyone to believe it, I wouldn't if it wasn't my stove, but it's the same wheelbarrow and I'm not getting any younger. I'm thinking that instead of two years worth of wood in my yard I have at a minimum three and maybe even four. It makes me giddy just contemplating it.
4) Temperature control. When it's in the 50's during the day and high 30's at night, I can keep my room comfortable by setting the thermostat down to 1 or 1.5. I could never keep my Avalon from driving me out of the room during these temps. I have not had to open a window yet.
5) Fast light-off. This has amazed me. From a cold stove, I can get the cat engaged in 15-20 minutes. The big pieces are just barely lighting off, the stove is barely hot, but the cat is lighting off. I did not expect this benefit, but it happens every time. The Avalon would take 30-40 minutes at a minimum before I had a chance at a good secondary burn.
6) Hearth floor temperature. Despite the stove sticking out a few inches farther, my hearth stays much more cool to the touch no matter how I'm running the stove (both stoves sat right on my concrete and brick hearth with no legs or spacers). With the Olympic my hardwood floor immediately in front of the door would get somewhere between warm and hot. Not hot enough to worry about a fire, but hotter than I liked. No longer, for whatever reason this is just not an issue. I think the lighter, better insulated firebricks may be the difference here.
7) Overall solid feel. The lever handles are chunks of wood. The door is substantial in heft. The cat lever locks into place with a hearty THUNK. It's 150 lbs or so lighter than the Olympic, but manages to feel more solid (no more rattling trim, for instance).

UNKNOWN
Chimney? I never had any problems with significant creosote buildup with the Avalon. It’s too early to tell how the Princess will do.

FINAL THOUGHTS
The Princess is the real deal folks. I could barely be more pleased with its performance. For me the PRO’s vasty outweight the CON’s. They will get this stove from me when the pry it from my warm, dead hands (cause if they find me within 12 or 14 hours of my passing, the stove will still be rolling)....

Reactions: coutufr
I could write the same review, Im very pleased with mine. As far as the knobs go, I agree with you but Im so familiar with them now I can put them right where I want without bending down to look, I have the feel now. Ive also gotten much better about getting keeping the glass clean, I cleaned it twice and now its staying clean.
Glad your enjoying yours as much as I am mine.

Thanks for the review Mike. Good to hear someone with the variety of stove share their experiences.

Weatherguy, tell us what you are doing different to keep the glass clean. I am assuming running the stove hotter for longer times before turning it down.

Welcome to the cult Mike. Looks like 2 months of brainwashing has had its way with you.

You touched on it in your review, but it is important to point out that your experience with the BK is with DRY wood. Makes a big difference with any stove, but to achieve the higher level of performance in these stoves it is a requirement. You are not going to get those kinds of burns and ease of use out of just delivered "seasoned" wood. My stove came from someone that learned that the hard way and was completely coated with creosote.

Yeah, I'm burning decent, truly dry hardwood. Not dry as in "I hear it go 'clink' instead of 'clunk,' dry as in 22% or lower measured moisture content in wood split, cross-stacked and put in a sunny, windy spot for a year. Most of what I've burned is between 15 and 19% moisture on the interior of re-split logs.

The scariest part about the burn times is that I have not touched my really good wood yet. I'm burning some mulberry, cherry and some scraggly wood I can't identify. When it gets seriously cold and I tap into my 5 cords of red and white oak I am guessing my burn times will extend by 10% (or more).

Patapsco Mike said:
When it gets seriously cold and I tap into my 5 cords of red and white oak I am guessing my burn times will extend by 10% (or more).

I bet it is a lot more than that. It is hard to be precise because of the number of sources in my wood pile, but when I go from chunks of randomness from processing this spring to a nice tight loaded stove with dry dense wood, I bet it is more than double. The flip side is when I use good wood, it is because I need the heat and am burning at a higher rate.

Sounds like you have found your stove. Enjoy it and thanks for the review.

Weatherguy, tell us what you are doing different to keep the glass clean. I am assuming running the stove hotter for longer times before turning it down.

That was one of the things but I also now let the wood burn a few minutes before engaging the cat, the only time I dial it way down now is before bed and thats after I burn it a little hotter for a awhile.
The stove is new and Im a new wood burner so I was a little tentative to let it burn hot at first. I was keeping the tstat too low too soon. Then it was a matter of learning my stove, I thought my wood wasnt seasoned enough but it was the operator not seasoned enough, so now I have an extra cord of really dry wood that I bought thinking it was the wood.
This is part learning your stove and following good wood burning procedure.

I've been burning some fairly wet oak for the last couple of days to see how my BK would deal with it. The wood pegs my meter, so it's over 35%. I've found that it's been business as usual. No black window or any buildup in the stove at all. But, I will say I've been burning it pretty hot, around 2.25 to 2.75 (it's 14 F° here and dropping as I type), and it has been handling it like a champ. I've also found that with the way the factory sets up the thermostat, you'd probably have to work pretty hard to drastically over-fire one of these stoves. You can get them very hot, but I'm not sure if you could really damage the stove under normal circumstances, even running it wide open. I worry more about my flue/chimney than I do about the stove. In fact, I just ordered a flue thermometer so I can keep an eye on flue temps a little better when I run her wide open.

Overall, I'm super impressed with these stoves.

I agree with you wet, as long as my fan is on I doubt my princess would overfire, maybe with the fan turned off it might. Sounds like your tstat has different settings, mine has low-high with 8 dots in between.

Wet1 said:
I've also found that with the way the factory sets up the thermostat, you'd probably have to work pretty hard to drastically over-fire one of these stoves. You can get them very hot, but I'm not sure if you could really damage the stove under normal circumstances, even running it wide open.

After the over fire disasters with my last two stoves, I have pushed this one to find out where the limits are. Even with loading it full of small split bone dry pine, the tstat does a nice job of managing the burn. I think you would probably have to do something like leave the ash chute plug out to over fire it.

I guess I should have clarified, it think it would be tough to truly over-fire a BK stove, but it might be a lot easier with an insert since the heat is somewhat trapped w/o the blowers on. The stat on my BKK goes from 0 to 3, so yes it does appear at least the labeling is different. Stay warm tonight... I'm sure it's going to be even cooler up your way!

Status
Not open for further replies.