1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Thoughts on Old Backs and Splitting

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by MrWhoopee, Jul 26, 2012.

1. golfandwoodnut

golfandwoodnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Yea that steeler shirt goes nice with the Mountain view. Of course it goes good with any view>>
    osagebow and ScotO like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

I cut in the summer and the winter, nothing like cutting in the woods with some snow. Just like you dress for cutting in the summer you dress for cutting in the winter, most of the time you will be taking off some layers of clothing in the winter.

zap
    Thistle and ScotO like this.
  3. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Hmmm . . . Dennis is now referring to himself in the third person . . . FirefighterJake is not sure what this means. Should FirefighterJake be concerned? ;) :) Hehheh.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  4. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Being a scrounger, I usually cut when the wood is available, regardless of season or weather. This year, I have been fortunate to have run out of room for more wood back in march. I can't really get started again until I burn some this fall, in the cooler weather. I cut split and stacked all through last few summers though. I just pace myself and drinks lots of water.
  5. golfandwoodnut

golfandwoodnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    I really do not mind cutting in the summer, and in the winter sometimes the trails are just impassible because of the slope and the ice and the mud. I will never complain about the heat.
  6. AJS56

AJS56 Member

Loc:
    Central Lower Mich
    I have the common tender back. Some might be from woodin', but no doubt some from age, and that pot bellied stove I carry around 24/7!

I usually buck at the tree site, Most of my wood is standing or fallen dead stuff, or storm/wind falls. I have tried pulling/skidding logs out to a processing area, but find that the logs get a lot dirtier and it is tough on turf, and don't see any beneift - my land is fairly level to rolling..

I load and haul it up to the processing area near my barn via mule (Kawasaki, not an a$$) or tractor and small 4x6 trailer.

Big rounds I use a CUT w/loader to lift and load if needed. I feel fortunate to have those tools/toys nowadays.

At the barn, I stack anything that doesn't need splitting right off the load, and pile rounds next to the stacks. I split by hand and stack as time is available and stack as I split.

I leave big uglies in a pile for splitter rental day, and also stack them as I split.

I am no war horse and work at my own pace. I only put up and burn about 6-7 face cords per season, and slow and steady seems to get it done just fine.

And...

"Backwoods Savage does not like cutting or handling wood in summer. Next time he cuts wood it will be cold outside. "

I'm totally with you Dennis. I love cutting in the late fall, winter and early spring. Once most foliage is off the trees and brush. No bugs and you can see all around and through the woods. Sometimes the snow can be an issue, in that it slows the process of bringing wood out of the woods. If it's too deep I just buck and leave it until the trail is more passable. Once the temp gets above 50 or so I get too hot too quickly. But to each his own!

-AJ
    fox9988 and Backwoods Savage like this.
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    AJ, if you have to drag any logs out, here is a picture of a dray I threw together. Cost me about $10 to build it and it works like a charm. This way you don't have to worry about dirt getting into the bark.

Hauling logs a.JPG
    fox9988, Billybonfire and Lewiston like this.
  8. AJS56

AJS56 Member

Loc:
    Central Lower Mich
    That looks pretty slick. So far I find it's generally easier to buck'em where they lay or fall. I suppose if there were a lot of brush it might be easier to pull them out in an open area to work, but I haven't had that situation much. Thanks for sharing that pics thoug!
  9. Bspring

Bspring Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Greenville, SC
    I gota wonder if you guys from PA and Main really know what heat is. 3 digit temps with high humity is just no fun. The few times I have been up there in the summer it was very nice.
  10. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    We have been at or near triple digits a few times in lower NY this summer. It has been miserable.
  11. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    July this year was 3rd hottest on record here, 12 days 100 or above.With 3 or more days in a row happening 2 times.Compare with 1934 at 17 days & 1936 at 13 days during the dust bowl & drought.Hottest summer here since 1988,havent have the double whammy of extreme heat & drought since the '30's.Late June it hit 100 for the first time since 2006,even in mid August it rarely gets over 95,but the humidity is quite oppressive then.90 here today but low humidity & light breeze for a change so its actually somewhat pleasant working in the shade.Forecast calling for lo '80's Thursday through early next week,thats great cause State Fair starts then & its perfect.
  12. woodchip

woodchip Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Broadstone England
    Summer is the best time for collecting wood here, everybody else is away enjoying holidays or just not thinking about wood. However, there is something very appealing about being outside in the cold splitting rounds, and coming indoors to a hot fire. Spreading the load here seems to help my back, collect in Summer, split in winter. It's a lot easier being further ahead too, less work all round and less stress on my back.......;)
    barn burner and PA. Woodsman like this.
  13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    And I have been to PA and thought it was downright awful. Yes, some of the scenery is great but the weather sucks. It all depends upon what the weather was like when you got there. As for those 3 digit temperatures, you can find them a lot further north than PA. As for the humidity, you can find that all over the eastern US and part of the west too.
  14. trailmaker

trailmaker Member

Loc:
    Northern California
    The best thing I've done for my back is to stop moving whole rounds. I split rounds by hand where I buck them, so I'm never muscling them over to a hydraulic splitter or up onto a truck bed.
  15. fox9988

fox9988 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Arkansas
    In the spirit of derailing, I'm in the mood all summer, I just can't perform! 40::F and I'm in a T-shirt with steam rolling off my back.
  16. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Emmaus, Pennsylvania
    And this Summer has been horrible; July was like August and August is it's hot, humid self. Not a lot of fun times lately but we just deal with it....
  17. Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mid Atlantic
    Someone in this forum pointed out that a hand truck makes a dandy wood hauler. Sure does! Balance is inherently better on those things; also you have less height you need to lift the wood to get it on top. They are way easier to push or pull when loaded. That tip alone was well worth the price of admission!;)

I always buck the wood on site, and usually split the bigger rounds by hand before loading. Nowadays, that hand truck of mine does most of the work- the wheelbarrow still gets used, but mainly for loads of the smaller diameter stuff.

[​IMG]

I still split by hand, but have been lucky to borrow a rental splitter from a neighbor a couple of times. Usually those are 25 to 30 ton gas/hydraulic types, and will work vertical, the best way to go. What a huge difference that has made!

This week I finally got myself a little electric/hydraulic splitter- the 299 dollar 5 ton model from Homelite, in my case. Just previewed it tonight, splitting about 8-10 smallish rounds on my carport. Remember that little kid in the Capital One viking-themed ads? Remember the pizzeria episode? The kid launches a stone from a catapult and it lands in what looks like a bowl of lava or molten iron- he jumps up and down and yells "Awesome!" Yeah, that's me...;lol

[​IMG]
    osagebow likes this.
  18. TradEddie

TradEddie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    You're doing something wrong of you're cold when splitting wood, even in winter. Gloves, hat a t-shirt should be enough.

TE
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  19. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Drop tree buck tree and watch the young bucks splitt and stack!

q3.jpg
  20. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Wow - what is that monster SmokinJ?
  21. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana

White oak...Got 3 this year close to this size(All over 45 inch). Now we are feeding 4 stoves though.
    osagebow likes this.