Thoughts on reducing idle time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willyswagon

Burning Hunk
Mar 18, 2012
PEI, Canada
www.straitshine.com
Temps are in the mid 40's right now and predicted to be in the mid 30's by morning with NW winds about 30mph for the next 3 days.
I'm wondering if I can reduce the idle time by lowering the boiler settings to 155 bottom and 165 top.
Would this not cause the boiler to cycle more often, therefore burning hotter, and idling less.

A smaller differential seems like it would cause it to fire more often. The differential in mine is set at 20-degrees so I don't have that option. But yes, that sounds like a good idea.

We're having a crazy warm October and being less than two weeks into a new boiler myself I'm still trying to figure everything out. I've got my boiler set at 150 to fire and 170 to shut down and a 12-minute burn every 2-hours on the cycle timer. Two windows open in the basement. Maybe a load 1/5 full in the fire box. Came home after 12 hours away today to a bridged load of wood, a 140-degree boiler and the boiler running expecting fire. It's times like these I really wish I had a low-temp shut down and just let the propane take over. I probably shouldn't be running the boiler at all in this weather but I'm stubborn.

This weather lately has been like waiting for the snow to stop so you can take out the new Mustang GT for a run. Or something like that. I'd been burning once in a while to try to keep the tanks warm, but since they were not insulated yet, the darned house has been almost 90 at times above them. So I had to quit burning for a while. I cobbled up some insulation real quick yesterday so I could at least get them up to temp to make sure my re-wiring of controls got done right. Might try that tomorrow if it cools off a bit more outside.

A smaller differential seems like it would cause it to fire more often. The differential in mine is set at 20-degrees so I don't have that option. But yes, that sounds like a good idea.

We're having a crazy warm October and being less than two weeks into a new boiler myself I'm still trying to figure everything out. I've got my boiler set at 150 to fire and 170 to shut down and a 12-minute burn every 2-hours on the cycle timer. Two windows open in the basement. Maybe a load 1/5 full in the fire box. Came home after 12 hours away today to a bridged load of wood, a 140-degree boiler and the boiler running expecting fire. It's times like these I really wish I had a low-temp shut down and just let the propane take over. I probably shouldn't be running the boiler at all in this weather but I'm stubborn.

I don't have my woodgun setup yet...but your "operating" aquastat on the back should have adjustable differential. Open it up. Mine is adjustable. Set it to a smaller differential so it runs more.

I am surprised you have a heating demand in CT right now. In North NJ we have no central heat right now and it hasn't been a problem yet.

ac

My factory preset is 10* F difference anyway.
What I was wondering is, Does it make sense to scale the temps back from the factory 165 Bottom-175 Top down to 155 Bottom and 165 Top in order that the boiler has to cycle more often in these shoulder seasons?

Seems like the idle time would be the same, just in more frequent but shorter durations. Put that heat somewhere!!!

Either way is shouldn't hurt things much other than a loss in efficiency.
TS

Well I guess that's my thoughts. It is pulling the same BTUs out of the wood, putting the same BTUs into the house, but by reducing the boiler temps, it is cycling on and off more often.
I don't know if it reduces the over all idle time , or just shortens up the length of each idle cycle.

I have noticed that by reducing the temps that my evening load of wood has lasted through the night leaving more coals for the morning start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.