Thoughts on SS liners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoilerMan

Minister of Fire
Apr 16, 2012
Northern Maine
My parents have an old Benjamin "Dutch Oven" wood boiler that I fed as a kid years ago, but has not been used for many years. My dad just got a new job at a hardwood plywood facility and gets 6 free chord of "cores" a year. This is the waste Maple and Birch that is 4-5" in diameter that is too small to be cut for ply. Needless to say they want to burn wood again. Their 45' tall circa 1922 10X12" ID chimney was lined in the early 80s but the tericotta is not in good shape. It is an inside chimney.
I was thinking of a hard SS liner dropped in from the top, would be more like a Class A to clean, but would a corrigated work as well. Cleaning wise, and long term? It seems like it would be much easier to install than riviting sections of heavy stainless and droping them in. I want to do it right, as I'll be there next summer for a roofing project with a man lift.

TS

45 feet....wow. What is that...basement, two floors, and stand up attic plus a few feet extension?

Yea SS liner, corregated will be fine! Dont stand to close to that door it may suck you in through the cracks with that draft!!

As long as you can fit it in it will be fine with coregated and it will be eiser to pull if needed in future, which you should not need to. Keep in mind a 6" liner is close to 6 3/4" OD. An 8" liner is close to 8 3/4" OD.

I think I have over 30 feet if flex ss liner in my masonry fireplace. 2 story and 10/12 pitch roof to clear. Draft is excellent and very little creosote.

cause it costs a bit more and at 45 feet its not like you need to improve any draft!​

But on the other hand 45' is a long enough for some cooling to happen. And smooth wall is easier to clean.

Just suggesting it since the OP was talking about dropping hard SS liner in and mentioned cleaning.

I would make darn sure that a 45 ft run is insulated. Is there anywhere in the system that you could install a key damper? I would if I could.

I would make darn sure that a 45 ft run is insulated
Yes this would be very important. By the time the smoke rises 45' that smoke will have cooled a lot, creating creosote. You will have no problem fitting down a 6" chimney liner with insulation if the chimney is 10"x12" ID as you said. If it doesn't have any severe bends, even an 8" will fit with insulation.

A couple of thoughts here. Are they thinking of resurrecting the old boiler or will it be replaced with a modern stove, furnace or boiler? If resurrecting, they really will need that old unit inspected and gone through with a fine tooth comb by someone that knows what they are doing. There are serious safety concerns here. If the firebox and boiler jacket pass inspection, I would also replace or rebuild all valves, especially the safety and relief valves. If they are replacing it with a modern unit, what will that be? With 45ft of flue I would consider downsizing the liner a notch.

Ok to answer some questions,
A couple of thoughts here. Are they thinking of resurrecting the old boiler or will it be replaced with a modern stove, furnace or boiler?

Yes old unit, I will be replacing pretty much all said components including circulator.

45' is basement, two full 10' floors and a really tall attic, tall house!

The flue collar is 7" on the boiler, there is also and oil boiler on the same flue with a 6" collar.

This led me to think 7 or 8" would be a good choice, insulation is a given for this tall install.

I just want to know people's cleaning expierence with both smooth and corrigated liners. I have Class A and it brushes very well and easily so I was thinking a hard liner would work better, but it would be alot more $$$$ and work, so opinions needed!

TS

Cant mix a solid fuel and liquid appliances in the same flue!!

Cleaning, the smooth wall will clean very similar to the Class A you have. But the regular corrugated liner will also clean up very nicely, especially if you have the liner insulated. The biggest thing is using dry wood. If you want to save some money you could use the corrugated liner, maybe just clean it more often, maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Get a cleaning kit that can be used from the bottom and it will be fine.

If double wall flex is installed I wanna see pics of that if done from the top. That stuff is darned heavy and "flexible" is a relative term.

Cant mix a solid fuel and liquid appliances in the same flue!!
This has gone back and forth in Maine as a code issue more times than I can remember, it's been there for 30+ years and the code said at one time any install before 1990 was ok, then back and forth, moot point IMHO.

This is my parents house, not mine it's been that way for a long long time. Draft is not in issue with that tall chimney, If it were my house I'd do many things different, gassifier, storage, low temp emitters, insulation.......... well that's my place. Anyhow, Thank you all for your expierences!

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.