Thoughts on stove for sale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice stove, but I'd only offer $1300. 5 yrs. old, and don't believe the "only burned 4 tons" ....there's no way to confirm that.

Also, if you DO go to look at it, ask them to start it up, let it burn for at least 1/2 hour and see that everything works. If they won't do that, either offer even less $$ or walk away.

Otherwise, wait for Jay T. to comment....he's our resident Enviro expert.

Reactions: oliveone
I would agree with IMACMAN about the price and to let run the 30 min. They are a good stove and can get parts. You could also ask where they brought the stove and if they had an issue. Then do a good inspection to see if it was taken care of. Enviro use some of the same parts as Whitfield. If you are handy, an can get the stove for a good price it will be worth the money. I would by it if it was closer to New York.

Empress are a good little stove. 35K BTU's max gross output. So max net is about 29K total.

If you plan to keep the area cold until you go out to the shop, Don't expect it to warm the area up real quick. Also the unit will over heat if you run it on high for long periods. If the area is super tight and well insulated you might be OK with it, But I would still be leery in cold snaps the unit will struggle to keep the area cozy.

What is the BTU max of the current heat source and how does it keep up in the really cold weather?

Last edited:
Empress are a good little stove. 35K BTU's max gross output. So max net is about 29K total.

If you plan to keep the area cold until you go out to the shop, Don't expect it to warm the area up real quick. Also the unit will over heat if you run it on high for long periods. If the area is super tight and well insulated you might be OK with it, But I would still be leery in cold snaps the unit will struggle to keep the area cozy.

What is the BTU max of the current heat source and how does it keep up in the really cold weather?

I currently have a free standing monitor heater but the smaller unit size and that won't heat the room up from a cold start without some help - and that's with running the heater for 2 + hours. The room isn't always used so it could be a few days or weeks between use but I guess I have a hard time with figuring BTU info. I have a Big E I use to heat my main house and that keeps the house at over 70 on setting 3 and is just 45000 BTU. I didn't think 10k BTU would matter that much

I currently have a free standing monitor heater but the smaller unit size and that won't heat the room up from a cold start without some help - and that's with running the heater for 2 + hours. The room isn't always used so it could be a few days or weeks between use but I guess I have a hard time with figuring BTU info. I have a Big E I use to heat my main house and that keeps the house at over 70 on setting 3 and is just 45000 BTU. I didn't think 10k BTU would matter that much

The Empress may work? The only way to know for sure is to try it. Just letting ya know up front so you won't be shocked if it does fault out on the high limit. She will run all day on the medium heat level 3 no problem. This unit is known to have a small convection blower and doesn't like to the higher heat settings But because you can only use max setting for short periods(about 1 1/2 to 2 hours) I'd be a bit leery . Even the 4th setting will make it over heat after a long run.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.