Thoughts on the Regency CI2600

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpson

Feb 20, 2016
Georgetown, MA
Hi all,

We are looking at adding a fireplace insert into our 3600sf farmhouse in Georgetown, MA. We aren't looking rely solely on our insert, rather help relieve our oil usage. The intent would be to use it from 5pm-7am everyday and most of the weekend, essentially when i'm around to tend to it. We are clearing land right now so we'll have a pretty unlimited amount of wood (at least for a few years). With the layout of our living room and first floor all completely open layout and near the stairs up to the second floor, I bet it would pretty easily heat the 2400sf on these two floors, the 1200sf in the basement will continue to run on oil.

The only unit that I can find that my wife likes the look of is the Regency CI2600. Because our hearth is pretty shallow, we can't do a full stove or else i'd consider that instead. I recently visited a stove store and was quote $3800 for the unit, $1800 installation and $1000 for the piping. Does this sound right? Even with free firewood, this would take us a really long time to recoup and realize any savings. Do these inserts fluctuate in price during the year? Should I be buying in June/July?

Thanks!
David

IMG_0622.jpg

Hi all,

We are looking at adding a fireplace insert into our 3600sf farmhouse in Georgetown, MA. We aren't looking rely solely on our insert, rather help relieve our oil usage. The intent would be to use it from 5pm-7am everyday and most of the weekend, essentially when i'm around to tend to it. We are clearing land right now so we'll have a pretty unlimited amount of wood (at least for a few years). With the layout of our living room and first floor all completely open layout and near the stairs up to the second floor, I bet it would pretty easily heat the 2400sf on these two floors, the 1200sf in the basement will continue to run on oil.

The only unit that I can find that my wife likes the look of is the Regency CI2600. Because our hearth is pretty shallow, we can't do a full stove or else i'd consider that instead. I recently visited a stove store and was quote $3800 for the unit, $1800 installation and $1000 for the piping. Does this sound right? Even with free firewood, this would take us a really long time to recoup and realize any savings. Do these inserts fluctuate in price during the year? Should I be buying in June/July?

Thanks!
David

View attachment 175374
It's Saturday night so the posts will be a little slow coming. Anyway, Regency makes top notch wood stoves and inserts according to many posters on this site. I am a newbie to wood burning this year and had a Hampton (Regency) HI300 insert installed in September and love it. But with that said, I would do a search on this site for all of the CI2600 posts and read them carefully! There is a very long thread regarding the CI2600 on page one of this forum that you will want to read closely. I'm a newbie wood burner and certainly don't have the expertise to guide you...but many, many folks on this site can. So again, read all the past posts on the CI2600 carefully and you will be educated about some of the issues current owners are experiencing. You can also do a search for the Hampton HI400...which I believe is the same unit by Regency with the cast iron facing. And if you do decide to move ahead and get an insert installed...make SURE you get plenty of expert advice from the moderators and other long time posters on this site regarding insulated liners, proper drafting, block off plate, Roxul insulation and most important...getting ahead with seasonsed wood before you have the insert installed! All of these things are important to getting the most efficient performance out of your insert...I wish I had listen a little more to the advice I was given to insist on a block off plate and didn't...now I have to have to pay to have the insert pulled out and a block off plate installed after the fact. So listen to what these very knowledgeable folks on this site have to say and you won't go wrong!

I just got a quote for one about 2 weeks ago actually. $6400 for the CI2600 with blower, SS flue liner and installation. The Regency CI2600 is only listed for 2000 sq feet. According to the literature left with me by the installer for hampton/regency yes the HI400 is the same stove with a "prettier" face. I don't have a other half to argue about cosmetics with so I shopped around, and decided that if I wanted a block off plate and insulated fireplace I was going to have to do it myself and decided that I liked the look of a Hearthstone Clydesdale.

I'm not sure about the time of year sales but I do know a lot of manufacturers have a tax credit worth $300 until the end of Feb. I will most likely not be getting my insert in time for the credit.

Hearthstone Clydesdale.

Plus one for me ^^^^
I am very pleased with the insert. It heats my 2100sf Bilevel with little to no problem.
I think all season I have only had to put a match (torch) to it 3 times for a re-light, the first fire and the 2 times I let it die out to check/clean the flue.
I did my own install with everything insulated so I would know what/how everything was installed.
I too am looking forward to the tax rebate, though my buddy did stood by today and said the dealer had $600 off sale going on.... o well

Hi.
Did you wind up getting this insert?
I am llooking at the same one. I live in Ma too, in southern Worcester county near the RI/CT lines.
I have priced it and found it for $2500, plus $1k install at Robbins Garden in Oxford, MA. It has been out of stock for summer though, and the salesman said it was recalled. He didn't seem very knowable about the products though.
HTH.
Hi all,

Thanks!
David

View attachment 175374

Hi.
Did you wind up getting this insert?
I am llooking at the same one. I live in Ma too, in southern Worcester county near the RI/CT lines.
I have priced it and found it for $2500, plus $1k install at Robbins Garden in Oxford, MA. It has been out of stock for summer though, and the salesman said it was recalled. He didn't seem very knowable about the products though.
HTH.

Hey @mtnhiker70 I haven't gotten this unit yet, i've been torn on which to move forward with although this is the one we like the most as far as cosmetics. I will say, the cost of the unit and installation quote we got up in Georgetown, MA was about double what you mentioned ($6200-$6600), so you might be getting a heck of a deal.

Let me know if you find out more about the recall i'd be interested to hear more.

I'm going to go to the stove shop today and see if it's in stock. My masonry firebox area is smaller than standard (odd angle inside) so this is the biggest insert I can do. Like you we have some land we can clear. our house is 2800sf, part of that is cathedrals though, and all 9' ceilings on the 1st floor. I am always cold...
I saw the ci2600 available online for $2500. Shipping is $200, but it still cheaper than your local stove shop. Hearthstoveandpatio.com
It's the Osborne label, but clearly the same stove. Hope that helps! http://hearthstoveandpatio.com/prod...6fRjpzTeVxh9ghUw9zU3xYQvMmxoy2BtVhhoCBQjw_wcB

Hey @mtnhiker70 I haven't gotten this unit yet, i've been torn on which to move forward with although this is the one we like the most as far as cosmetics. I will say, the cost of the unit and installation quote we got up in Georgetown, MA was about double what you mentioned ($6200-$6600), so you might be getting a heck of a deal.

Let me know if you find out more about the recall i'd be interested to hear more.

Last edited:
There's a $300 energy star tax credit for 2016 on this model too!

I saw the ci2600 available online for $2500. Shipping is $200, but it still cheaper than your local stove shop. Hearthstoveandpatio.com
It's the Osborne label, but clearly the same stove. Hope that helps!
The Osburn Matrix and the Regency CI2600 are entirely different inserts. Different manufacturers, firebox size and different innards.

We purchased ours in January from CaptainSoot.com. It was $3900 which included the blower, faceplate, 25 foot SS liner (not insulated) and shipping from NY to WV. They have been very easy to work with and shipped me missing pieces as needed (not that it was missing anything I think our installer lost them). We had it installed through a contractor because we had to have our fireplace rebuilt due to a fire (not the good kind) but there was a lot of work involved there so I don't want to quote installation. I don't recommend having a contractor do your install based upon. Our installation. If I had to do it again I would get a professional certified chimney sweep do it properly with an insulated liner and block off plate. Just my 2 cents from a new user.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.