Thoughts on this ebay timberjack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like the one on baileys...I have one from baileys got it on sale for 39.00 last year.There a lot of weight and pressure on these tools,when you need it you sure dont want it breaking.

ive used the metal and a wood handled. I like the wood my self, the metal was cumbersome. that said the best way to use is to just roll the log over and forget how to raise it. I used one many a time as a young kid working in my paps old saw mill.

I was given one, I think from Northern Tool, many years ago. It has been used very little. Just for kicks I got it out again this year. I'll make you a better deal than you will probably find anywhere. I'll give it away. It is the most worthless piece of junk I have on our place. I tried taking the foot of so as to use for a cant hook and it is not worth a dollar as it is spaced wrong and won't grip a log. The only reason I've saved it is hopefully some day I might be able to use the handle.

Summary: It is worthless.

I have the Northern unit they were selling a few years back, and it was a pretty worthless piece of crap - didn't grab the logs at all well, and bent when it did...

The OP's e-bay linked unit looks reasonable for the price, hard to say for sure w/o putting my hands upon it, but the picture and description seems OK...

Personally I don't see much advantage to the "jack" function, and probably wouldn't bother to pay extra over what a plain cant hook or peavey cost to get it... I'd rather leave the log on the ground, and do the cut / roll cut method - less effort and energy to do it that way, as I can do the length of the log in one pass. With the timber jack I found that I would have to keep repositioning every few cuts...

Gooserider

I use a log lifter often, esp. in snow to lift the log up to cut. Often they are to big to roll, at least at the start and if they are in snow you can bet there are large rocks under the snow just waiting for the chain. Also works well in mud season to keep the logs cleaner while cutting. Don't know the brand, don't use it every time but it's another tool to use when conditions arise.
Be safe.
Ed

That looks like the one I have, hickory handle about 2 1/2" diameter and 4' long. I use it for is lifting trees off the ground for bucking. If your cutting up trees this is the tool you need.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. My better half went Xmas shopping over the weekend so I get to wait awhile longer to get a timberjack. However, she did find the HF infrared thermometer on sale that I have been wanting so it is an early Xmas for me. :)

Depending on how hard you plan to use it, Logrite tools are a good investment. The handle has a lifetime warranty, and the hooks and peavey point are replaced by removing a bolt or roll pin. I don't know what you would have to do to break it, cause I've abused mine with some pretty heavy stuff. Very substantial tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.