Threat to walnut trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Black walnut trees in the U.S. are facing a serious threat called thousand cankers disease, according to Colorado State University researchers. This recently recognized problem has already devastated black walnut trees west of the Rocky Mountains over the past 10-15 years.

The disease is caused by a newly discovered fungus that is carried to trees by the walnut twig beetle. A native of the Southwest, the beetle is usually associated with the Arizona walnut tree, to which it is not harmful. It is, however, harmful to the black walnut tree which has been planted extensively throughout the West.

“The walnut twig beetle has shown a fantastic spread through the western U.S. within the past 25 years,” says Whitney Cranshaw, an entomologist at Colorado State. “In recent years we have seen new records for this insect in Colorado, northern New Mexico, Utah, Idaho, Oregon and Washington. And everywhere we are finding the beetle, all the black walnuts are dying.”

The bigger concern is if thousand cankers disease moves east where black walnut is a common forest species. “I think thousand cankers disease has the potential to devastate black walnut just as Dutch elm disease nearly wiped out American elms and chestnut blight eliminated the American chestnut,” said Cranshaw. “Right now it is contained west of the Front Range in Colorado and the High Plains provide a good natural barrier, but all it would take is one careless individual moving a walnut log with the beetles and we could have an outbreak that could quickly spiral out of control.”

Cranshaw emphasizes the importance that foresters, arborists, woodworkers and lumber mills recognize this new threat. They say no walnut logs with bark intact should be allowed to move further east than where the disease is currently known. Walnut lumber and well-dried logs without bark likely pose little threat of carrying the fungus-carrying beetles.

Link www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/0812_alert.pdf.

Swell. Another disease / pest that we (people in general) can help spread (inadvertently) to destroy yet more of America's forests. Here in the west it's the pine bark beetle devestating pine forests and suburban landscape trees alike. Back east there's the emrald ash beetle, dutch elm disease and countless more I can't bring to mind at the moment. As a society, we can make efforts to slow the spread, but who knows if they will ulitmately be effective. While some of us may "profit" in the short term with ready sources of firewood (I had to pass on a real nice score of yet more pine the other day, amost certainly the victim of PBB, 'cuz I'm too busy w/ other stuff) I'm sure that most folks here would much rather see our forests in better health.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Status
Not open for further replies.