Three foot clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnywarm

Minister of Fire
Sep 12, 2007
Connecticut
Are the Clearance's for a stand alone stove the same for the insert????I hear its Three feet from the stand alone.Is it three feet for the wood insert also???

Thanks

NO,

3 feet if a "generic" clearance for a old stove - one without a label, testing or a manual.

Most modern wood stoves at at 1/2 that or better.

Inserts usually specify clearances - the largest being, of course, on the floor in front of it and to a wood mantle or facing above it. In most cases, the clearances to mantels or trim are much less than 3 feet.

Webmaster said:
NO,

3 feet if a "generic" clearance for a old stove - one without a label, testing or a manual.

Most modern wood stoves at at 1/2 that or better.

Inserts usually specify clearances - the largest being, of course, on the floor in front of it and to a wood mantle or facing above it. In most cases, the clearances to mantels or trim are much less than 3 feet.

Craig

I'm having a problem with the Tv. its tooo close on the side of the Castine thats on the Hearth.i thought if i got an insert for the fireplace next year and put the castine in the cellar i could get away with the tv being two feet to the side of the insert.

Yes, in that case it is probably true. There may be other things you can do to retard the heat radiation in that direction.

BUT, note from the castine manual that the clearance to the side is only 19".

So two feet is not a problem. If you can upload a picture, we might have some suggestions for you.....to keep the existing setup.

Attachments

• Picture 14.png
    Picture 14.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 336
Webmaster said:
Yes, in that case it is probably true. There may be other things you can do to retard the heat radiation in that direction.

BUT, note from the castine manual that the clearance to the side is only 19".

So two feet is not a problem. If you can upload a picture, we might have some suggestions for you.....to keep the existing setup.

I'm waiting on the short leg option before i can put the stove on the hearth.i will take a pic then for you.

Craig if i am reading it correctly?? you can be up to 19" from the stove??

Thanks John

Webmaster said:
As close as 19 inches to the side of the stove - but electronics want to be further, so 24 is nice -

At first it was going to be a pellet insert.the TV was fine.it will be a LCD so i think i need to see how far it will need to be from the stove.I hope i can swing the 24" part.

Thanks John

One of the nice things about these new stoves is the reduced clearance to combustables. My 13NC has back and side heat shields and has a 13" clearance to the back wall and an 11" clearance to the sides...

JoeyJ said:
One of the nice things about these new stoves is thereduced clearance to combustables. My 13NC has back and side heat shields and has a 13" clearance to the back wall and an 11" clearance to the sides...

I hear yeah. My Jotul F400 has 19" on the side's.

maybe you can put a small heat shield on the side of the TV for and added level protection

myzamboni said:
maybe you can put a small heat shield on the side of the TV for and added level protection

I was thinking about this.I now need to know what the tv makers are saying is a safe distance & heat temp for there tv's.

I would like to know what the people with tv's on top of the fireplace do :bug: when they put in a stove.

johnnywarm said:
myzamboni said:

I was thinking about this.I now need to know what the tv makers are saying is a safe distance & heat temp for there tv's.

I would like to know what the people with tv's on top of the fireplace do :bug: when they put in a stove.

It has got to be well over a 100 degrees as some people put their T.V.'s in front of a window in summer, and most T.V. surfaces are black plastic, so I would think that 140 degrees is not unusual...

JoeyJ said:
johnnywarm said:
myzamboni said:

It has got to be well over a 100 degrees as some people put their T.V.'s in front of a window in summer, and most T.V. surfaces are black plastic, so I would think that 140 degrees is not unusual...

I'll look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.