three little bears

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
My chocolate lab shelby tree'd a mama and two cubs. They had a bear hunt last year - but we've seen more than ever this year. Over the summer, they come on to the deck and drink from the baby pool.

Attachments

• 101_0494.jpg
    101_0494.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 657
  • 101_0477.jpg
    101_0477.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 638
  • 101_0487.jpg
    101_0487.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 623
Yes that's a big old shag bark in my front yard they are in

Attachments

• 101_0505.jpg
    101_0505.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 634
  • 101_0516.jpg
    101_0516.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 636
As close as the wife could get with the camera lens.

Attachments

• 101_0517.jpg
    101_0517.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 627
That's a great shot of the cubs. Looks like your choc lab can keep the cubs at bay right now.

They stay'd tree'd for about 1 hour. The dog is curled up and content that she did her job today protecting her turf.

Got 3 truck loads of Black Locust scrounged too. Productive weekend.

That's great she can protect you and your family. My dog would do the same! Gotta love man's best friend!

Notice how Mama stays at the bottom and the cubs go higher. The one cub got near the top. Mama is ready to fight - should anyone be stupid enough to get close.

We've got tons of bears in the area. Some really big ones. This past spring, I was in the yard - not paying any attention and a huge one walked about 12 feet from me past my evergreens on his way to the wood line. There is a game path that comes up from my bottom land - up thru the woods and across the back yard. We seen deer, turkeys, bear, foxes, and coyotes too.

Attachments

• 101_0505.jpg
    101_0505.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 577
Wow, that is quite a set of shots. It's wonderful that wilderness game can be so close by. And yet you are what, less than 100 miles from the biggest city on the east coast?

Very cool. Thanks for the pics basswidow! Looks like a nice place you have there.

Great pics !

The bears can stay in Jersey, how ever :)

Funny how bears still equate dogs with humans, and generally run away like hell.

Not sure what my current dog will do when he sees/smells bear, but my last one would have tried to get her down outta that tree :grrr:

Anywho . . . thanks for the pics. Great lookin dog, tree, bears and all!

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Funny how bears still equate dogs with humans, and generally run away like hell.

Not sure what my current dog will do when he sees/smells bear, but my last one would have tried to get her down outta that tree :grrr:

Anywho . . . thanks for the pics. Great lookin dog, tree, bears and all!

That's cool...I think my Chocolate Lab would want to play with them!!!

Is that shagbark hickory? I love shagbark and the bears or ok too. :lol:

Came to this post looking for info on Fisher stoves and figured this would show their model line up based on the subject line.
haha

Status
Not open for further replies.