Three month old stove just shut off.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
I got a call of a three month old stove that ran great until one night and it just shut off. The control board had no lights and nothing would work. I did not sell this stove to the customer and I will not mention the brand. I went to the house and checked all the wires. I saw nothing that indicated the problem. The fuse in the control panel was blown and I replaced it and it blew on start up. I rechecked all wires and found the ground wire in this condition.

The crimp was the problem I recrimped and reattached the ground. The stove is still running.

Eric

Attachments

• IMG00131-20100215-1840[1].jpg
    IMG00131-20100215-1840[1].jpg
    41 KB · Views: 415
Hmmm... Hard to figure out what brand stove that might be. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
Hmmm... Hard to figure out what brand stove that might be. :lol:

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

kinsman stoves said:
I got a call of a three month old stove that ran great until one night and it just shut off. The control board had no lights and nothing would work. I did not sell this stove to the customer and I will not mention the brand. I went to the house and checked all the wires. I saw nothing that indicated the problem. The fuse in the control panel was blown and I replaced it and it blew on start up. I rechecked all wires and found the ground wire in this condition.

The crimp was the problem I recrimped and reattached the ground. The stove is still running.

Eric

Ok, the green ground was not making a solid bond but it sounds like there could still be an electrical fault somewhere.
The stove should still run (although not safely) without the ground conductor.

Gio said:
kinsman stoves said:

Eric

Ok, the green ground was not making a solid bond but it sounds like there could still be an electrical fault somewhere.

I have had this problem with other brand stoves. It causes the board to overload. Try it on your stove and see what happens.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
Gio said:
kinsman stoves said:

Eric

I have had this problem with other brand stoves. It causes the board to overload. Try it on your stove and see what happens.

Eric

I don`t doubt you one bit Eric but it still doesn`t sound right to me. I`m an electrician and not an electronics tech .
Maybe they use the grounded chassis to isolate the electronics but from my end the green is strictly an equipment ground only and not to be used as a current carrying conductor.

Next time blank out the name on the control board (Englander 2004)

Mr Whitfield said:
Next time blank out the name on the control board (Englander 2004)

Yeah! God forbid anyone knowing the brand stove that broken sta-kon was on ..
We don`t mind viewing broken welds on a Harman auger tube or cracked heat exchangers but this sta-kon issue on an Englander was way too much for us to bear. Heh,heh,heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.