Three Point Hitch Splitter Configuration Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhitePine

Feeling the Heat
Sep 18, 2010
I have a configuration question regarding three point hitch splitters for those who have one or anyone with experience using one.

3PH splitters can generally be found as either a vertical/horizontal model that mounts crosswise across the back of the tractor or as a horizontal only model that sticks straight out the rear. I know and understand the value of the V/H configuration for self powered tow behind splitters, but I'm not sure of the benefit in 3PH models.

With a tow behind unit absent a log lift, the vertical orientation allows heavy rounds to handled without humping them up onto the beam. But with a 3PH splitter, the operator should be able to simply lower the splitter to the ground in order to roll the round onto the beam. What benefit is there to having a vertical position? Besides that, it would seem to me that in the horizontal position, the beam would be very close to the rear of the machine, making operation awkward.

I have been tossing this stuff back and forth in my mind while trying to decide on a brand and configuration. Today, I discovered that Iron & Oak, who has discontinued their 3PH V/H model with stand will be introducing a couple of new horizontal only models. That says quite a lot to me. Pics linked below.

tmvh1_250.jpg

tmvh 3_250.jpg"

tmvh 2_250.jpg"

So for 3PH splitters, horizontal only or a V/H unit. What's your preference?

Horizontal only. Less moving parts. I like the wedge mounted on the outboard rather than the hyd cyl. With a vertical splitter it has to be mounted on the cyl. If the cyl is just pushing, it seems like there would be less directional forces on the ram IMHO. You could also split right into a trailer.
Doug

My 3PH splitter is vertical only. I get sick of sitting looking at the back of the tractor. Being able to drop the splitter for the big rounds is a nice simple solution. The only thing I wonder is if the 4-way buys you anything if you don't have a high volume pump. Short stroking with a single wedge may be faster than extending far enough to get the 4 way to work. That horizontal blade looks stout.

The biggest advantage to my vertical only unit is that I can raise it high enough to hook a wagon tongue to the drawbar under the splitter and make only one trip to the woods. By raising high I can also use a clevis on the drawbar and pull logs to a convenient spot where the wagon is waiting and split without removing the splitter each time I need to pull. I work entirely alone, so taking everything in one trip is important to me.

PlowSplitter009.jpg

PlowSplitter008.jpg

Stephen in SoKY, I've not seen a splitter like that before. Is it home built or a commercial product.?

SolarAndWood said:
My 3PH splitter is vertical only. I get sick of sitting looking at the back of the tractor. Being able to drop the splitter for the big rounds is a nice simple solution. The only thing I wonder is if the 4-way buys you anything if you don't have a high volume pump. Short stroking with a single wedge may be faster than extending far enough to get the 4 way to work. That horizontal blade looks stout.

Yes it does. The log cradles and four way wedge are expensive options. The wedge is $300. I think the cradles are almost as much.

These will be available with and without a PTO driven pump, when they go on sale in April. Unfortunately, the PTO pump model only has a 10GPM pump, which would mean running the tractor engine at PTO speed, something I would like to avoid. Since my tractor has a dual speed PTO (1000/540), I've been wondering if there would be any hidden issues running the PTO in the 1000 position, but at a lower engine speed (around 1400 RPM). That would turn the PTO pump at the same speed. I have 33 PTO horsepower, so there shouldn't be any power issues.

I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work, but you know how stuff you never thought of can reach out and bite you in the rear end.

It was a commercial product about 20 years ago. I believe Speeco made them.

Status
Not open for further replies.