Q&A Three questions on Trinity Woodstove installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

1. My folks just got a Trinity Mk
They are going to put it in front of their fire place (after extending the hearth a bit) and then run the stove pipe horizontally into the existing fire box, and seal it above the damper plate. I just talked to the guy at the store, and he recommends that, instead of using regular stove pipe, with an elbow, that we use a flexible tube (I don't know if you would still call it a stove pipe). He said this is easier to install. He also says that to get the tube through the opening of the flu and above the damper plate, you have to be able to squash the tube a bit, because the damper narrows the entrance to the flu.

He said that to do this, you really need the flexible pipe. He said that narrowing the tube at that point shouldn't make much difference, because even though the tube gets narrower, it also gets longer, so the cross-sectional area of the tube is the same. I didn't say anything to him, but the area actually decreases, although I don't know by how much.

What do you think of what he's suggesting? Do you think we'll run into any trouble with the flexible "pipe"? My concern is that this arrangement won't provide as good a draft as using "regular" (non-flexible) stove-pipe with an elbow.

2. With the Trinity Mk 2, I believe they say it can take wood up to 22" long. I guess that's the maximum. However, before I get our wood delivered, I'd like to know what the *optimal* length is. I don't yet know if we'll be using mostly the front or side door, so the length should be appropriate for either. Also, do you have a recommendation for the split width?

3. Do you think we still have time for wood to season before next winter? Or is it crucial that we get seasoned wood at this point?

Answer:

1. Yes, use the stainless steel flexible pipe - that's what it is designed to be used for.
2. 20" will give you a bit of breathing room - shoot for 18-20" - Split width is usually fine as they deliver it - 4" to as much as 7"
3. Yes, plenty of time if it is split, stacked right and top covered. (Wood should be seasoned between 6 months and 1 year depending on species, weather conditions etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.