Three strange circles on my Harman Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bungalobob

Feeling the Heat
Aug 5, 2008
central ct
Got home from work today, yes, work on the holiday, and went straight to the stove as usual to clean the ash and clinker build up on the burn pot. Opened the door and scraped away, closed the door and admired the flame as it built back up. But, hold on, what's this, three nickel-sized circles about three inches apart in the center of the glass. Oh no, I think, are these chips from too much heat or something? I kneel down to inspect, and as I do, I hear my 10 year old scamper from the room. That's the first hint that my stove didn't overheat. I thought the circles were on the inside and was about to open the door again when I ran my nail over one of the circles. I could feel it. I scraped a little and it started come off. I turned around to look for where my son ran off to and then I spotted it- a Nerf Gun, the N-Strike Long Shot, thank you very much, Santa. I also thought, hey, that's a nice tight pattern he shot, I wondered what distance he shot from? Well, my son fessed up pretty quick once I got him down by the stove. Luckily he only shot the glass, those rubber heads would have melted and been a groan to get off the metal surfaces. So, if Santa brought Nerf guns to your home this holiday, watch for the circles, and check for the patterns.

Melted rubber from the darts didn't come off as easily as I thought they would. I didn't want to scrape with razor blades because of the warning in the instruction manual. 'Goof Off' did the trick. Pretty cool about the dog lining up his toys near the stove, my dog doesn't care to much for heat, already to much fur keeping him warm.
Makes me wonder what others have found melted to their stoves, heard about the guy and his blue bathrobe getting to close, but what else?

Plastic pellet bags.

Crayon marks.... >:-(

10yr old boys don't think before they act...especially when they
have their buddies with them. After the glass cooled down, luckily
it came off with ceramic cooktop cleaner and fingernail scraping.

EDIT: Santa brought my son that same nerf gun for xmas this year
and I warned my son that if either the stove or the TV get shot, his
darts will be fed to the dogs. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.