Three way switch wiring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Stanley

Feeling the Heat
Dec 31, 2007
Southern ME
chickfarm.com
Is this diagram wrong????

This is a new circuit, with 12/2 from breaker panel to switch box, which is a 3-way with dimmer. From that same switch box, there is 12/2 going to ceiling light and 14/3 going to 2nd switch box, which is a regular 3-way, no dimmer.

I have wired it up according to this diagram that I got online and it doesn't work right. Could maybe the dimmer be an issue?? http://www.dinologic.com/misc/3-way_switch.jpg

Thanks,
Rick

I think the diagram is wrong. The white wire on the upstairs switch is on the "common" connection on that switch. That needs to go to the black wire on the bulb. Basically you need to switch where the white wire is connected on the upstairs switch to where the black wire on that switch is and then connect the black wire to the common (where the white wire is now).....I hope that makes sense.

Thanks Jack. To clarify: I should reverse the black and white wires on the upstairs switch???

Yes, think of it this way. That common connection which is on the right side of the switch, on 1 switch the line voltage needs to be connected to it and on the other switch the common needs to go to the light bulb. The left side connections are just "carriers" between the 2 switches.

I'll second.

The dimmer may have thrown you if the terminals are in different positions on the switch or the common isn't marked well. The common is the important one. The other two get carried between the two stitches and the two commons then act as the switched terminals, if that makes sense. You want the two carriers (red and white in this case) to be hooked to the two terminals that aren't the common, doesn't matter which one.

Here is a little diagram for your situation. This is feed and loading it in 1 box and 'dead ending' it in the other box. Yellow is the white wire.

While technically you cannot have the 14-3 wire on that circuit assuming you are using a 20 amp breaker, the only load on that wire will be that of the light so you should be good.

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 350
Status
Not open for further replies.