Three Year Old Cherry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This Cherry was stacked up top, not much sun but it did get some wind. Decided to stack it on the north east side after bringing it down, I think it will be ready for this year. (updated)

zap

Attachments

• 100_1348.jpg
    100_1348.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 696
  • 100_1352.jpg
    100_1352.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 739
zapny said:
This Cherry was stacked up top, not much sun but it did get some wind. Decided to stack it on the north east side after bring it down, I think it will be ready.

zap

Ready as in ready this year? When did you split it?

3 years ago! I'd say it should be ready...

ckdeuce said:
zapny said:
This Cherry was stacked up top, not much sun but it did get some wind. Decided to stack it on the north east side after bringing it down, I think it will be ready for this year.

zap

Ready as in ready this year? Yes When did you split it?

I'll have to make sure but I think it was 2007 in the spring, I have it in direct sun and wind so it should be fine but I'll check it at the end of September.

zap

Roger that. I missed the 3 year part....

Geeze Zap, I wouldn't even check it. I'd just throw it in the stove. Cherry does not take much time before it is okay to burn and certainly not 3 years.

It may just be the photo (or my pc)...but some of those splits look more red than my 1 year old split cherry. I guess those were the ones that didn't get much sun?

muncybob said:
It may just be the photo (or my pc)...but some of those splits look more red than my 1 year old split cherry. I guess those were the ones that didn't get much sun?

Yes, not much sun but it did get wind, when I starting stacking it yesterday in the sun the ends started to check within 20 minutes.

zap

Should burn really nice . I have some 2 yr old cherry that was dead when I cut it .

Looks good Zap! I noticed a lot of checking on the ends in the pic.

Skier76 said:
Looks good Zap! I noticed a lot of checking on the ends in the pic.

Thanks Skier76, the row in the back (stacked since spring) is checking good but the cherry up front is just starting.

zap

I'm sure this latest heat wave will help! It's in the 90's in CT...blah!!!

Skier76 said:
I'm sure this latest heat wave will help! It's in the 90's in CT...blah!!!

Great summer for seasoning wood, by September 6th I should have all the split wood up top down and stacked then I can work on some beech and birch thats down then start splitting the softwood thats up top.

Have to start making room for softwood plus 8-10 face cord of beech that is split and needs to be stacked.

zap

just seen a new term. that the wood was "checking" dose that mean graying on the ends? thanks Jim

jimosufan said:
just seen a new term. that the wood was "checking" dose that mean graying on the ends? thanks Jim
There is no telling what that means 3 yr cherry burn or not to burn my gosh I hope these new EPA stoves arent this contrary. My first year with one after over 20+ years of burning wood for heat. The old smoke Draqgon would burn tires if I would have needed to stay warm.

jimosufan said:

Jim it's when the ends start to crack, how good is OSU this year in football? Jim I attached a picture of some cherry checking on the end.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1179.jpg
    100_1179.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 466
In my experience, cherry is one of the quickest-drying species. It was probably ready to burn 2 years ago - it will definitely be ready this season.

BroadCove, you are correct. It is almost as quick to dry as ash.

thanks...as long QB stays healthy.....And we bet Miami and Michigan look for us to go far

I am splitting some Cherry and Walnut this weekend for the 2011/12 season. My first year of burning I had Big Jack furnace and was burning cherry almost exclusively. It was cut log length in the winter and then split in the spring so only seasoned 1/2 a year in truth. It burned better than 2 year seasoned walnut I used the following year.

How long does Cherry take to season? it was green when it was cut in Aug of 08 and split and stacked in Nov of 08. Just wondering this is my first time burning cherry It's usually Oak.

Thanks

PS3696 said:
How long does Cherry take to season? it was green when it was cut in Aug of 08 and split and stacked in Nov of 08. Just wondering this is my first time burning cherry It's usually Oak.

Thanks

Cherry was split and stacked in the Fall of 2008? Trust me . . . your cherry should be ready to go unless you were storing it in a swimming pool . . . I try to season all my wood (including cherry) for a year . . . but many folks say it reaches the point where it can be burned safely and cleanly in less than a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.