Through the floor venting advice.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tcassavaugh

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Southern Maryland
I was wondering if any of you guys have the straight through the ceiling to the upstairs floor vent. I remember my aunts house in upstate n.y. had them in their home. They had a wood stove and had some vents strategically placed to allow the heat to rise upstairs. They were about 12 in by 12 in allowing good air movement vs. the small vents used in today’s central heating. I can’t remember if they had the tin connecting them in the kit or if they made it themselves from sheet metal. I’m thinking about getting some but I can’t seem to find any. I saw some a few years ago in a hardware store in upstate n.y. when I went to visit, and I should have gotten them then. It’s the only place I’ve seen them. I’ve seen small grates and vents used for central heat but that’s all.

Anyway, was wondering what you guys used for convection circulation.

Thanks in advance

cass

forgot to mention i have the pe summit down in rhe family room in the basement. air movement is good but i thought a vent or two would help heat the whole house more evelny.

cass

did you check local HVAC duct suppliers? might have some fancy grills?

Hi,

Here's what I learned while considering cutting holes. While you are finding info on grates / duct, you may consider checking into how connecting the 2 floors of your house will affect local building / fire codes. i.e. you are reducing the fire / smoke stopping capability of the ceiling / floor.

I was gearing up to do a similar operation in my house. While the holes did not violate any current local codes, I planned on installing a fire damper, to help slow the spread of fire. However, I got such great results using a floor fan to simply move air, that no holes were needed AND its safer. (and we are warmer)

Good luck, there lots of air circulation info here with beautiful register grate pics.

Nate

Status
Not open for further replies.