Through the roof?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drumbum

Aug 12, 2009
mid tenn
Hey guys, I have a question about an install I'm trying to help BIL with. He's got a log home with a 24' vaulted ceiling. The wall that the stove is going against is all glass ,like an A-frame. The ceiling is exposed ridge beam and rafters with I'm guessing 4" tongue and groove decking with metal roof on top. Putting the stove as close to the center as practical to save money on expensive double wall stainless(more black pipe inside than double outside). Now to the question part, whats needed to go through the decking and metal roof? I'm guessing a cathedral ceiling support and just a couple of sections of double wall with some type of flashing boot, and of course a rain cap of some sort? Thinking penetration maybe 3' from ridge beam. Don't quite know the spacing of rafters, haven't been there in a while. Whats your thoughts? All input welcome. Thanks in advance guys.

There are different kits from the various manufacturers for sloped ceiings/roofs.

Personally, in a case such as yours, I liked using the type where you can hang a certain amount of insulated pipe below the support - these usually consiste of either a band that installs at the roof level or a piece of pipe with the band or other mounting already on it.

With such a high ceiling, it would be good to hang a few feet off the bottom of the roof support so that your single or double wall connector did not span too far. In addition, if you are going to use single wall pipe for a relatively long run (I would personally not use more than about 12 feet), get the Heat Fab or similar 22 ga welded pipe and fasten it together well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-10-03 at 7.39.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-03 at 7.39.44 PM.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 148
Status
Not open for further replies.