Through the wall class A pipe question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charly

My installer put my insulated tee and thimble through my wall, and has never returned. Left all the materials. I now have got the instructions out and have finished everything up through the roof etc. This is for my Esse stove hook up. I get my stove all in place and happen to read that the insulated pipe coming through the wall must extend 6 inches into the room. Mine comes into the room 3 inches. With the adapter from the class A to my inside double wall stove pipe, I have 6 inches of clearance from my double wall pipe to my back wall , no problem.Now what? Get a longer Class A pipe? Thing is this will put my stove over 12 inches from the wall, and all the work that went into a heat shield on the wall was now not even needed. Can't believe my chimney guy didn't know this. Why does it need to extend 6 inches into the room? I'm sick over finding this out. Yet I want to be covered in the event of a fire.

Perhaps the installer found this out and that is when they departed. Maybe the heat shield on the wall will allow you to look in a different section of the directions that might allow credit for a heat shield.

On their web site:
Clearances - Non-combustible materials from side and back 20mm; Combustible material from side EW 300mm EWB 200m; Combustible material from back EW 500mm EWB 400mm; From bolster lid 416mm

The technical issue would be radiation from your double wall connector adapter to combustible surfaces around the thimble. Put a 24" diameter wall shield around the thimble. Or put two. That will cover the technical issue.

The insurance issue is a different matter. That has to be your call.

JimboM said:
Perhaps the installer found this out and that is when they departed. Maybe the heat shield on the wall will allow you to look in a different section of the directions that might allow credit for a heat shield.

On their web site:
Clearances - Non-combustible materials from side and back 20mm; Combustible material from side EW 300mm EWB 200m; Combustible material from back EW 500mm EWB 400mm; From bolster lid 416mm

The technical issue would be radiation from your double wall connector adapter to combustible surfaces around the thimble. Put a 24" diameter wall shield around the thimble. Or put two. That will cover the technical issue.

The insurance issue is a different matter. That has to be your call.
Jimbo, I'm just going to replace the thru the wall Class A pipe with a longer pipe the brings the pipe 6 inches plus into the room, as per DuraTech's install manual. I'm having my homeowner insurance guy inspect this install as he did my other woodstove. I want to be covered. Not worth losing everything. I have nothing to hide on the install being done properly. I want to be able to sleep at night and lastly not lose everything. Apparently the chimney guy who's been doing this for 20 years can't read :wow: Heat shield on the wall will still be needed, as my stove will be about 12 inches from my wall when moved further out , the placard on the stove calls for 13.5 inches to a combustible, so the heat shield will stay. Again thanks for you idea's and concerns .............Charlie

bummer....I ran into the same basic scenario when I put my kitchen stove in....you'll thank yourself for doing it right, that piece-of-mind when you go to sleep at night is worth more than that heat shield to begin with.....

Esse Iron Heart is one I would dearly love to have. Something about it is very attractive to me.

JimboM said:
Esse Iron Heart is one I would dearly love to have. Something about it is very attractive to me.
Jimbo I agree.....and I WILL have that stove in my kitchen someday.....gonna have to work some serious overtime to get it though :-o

Scotty Overkill said:
bummer....I ran into the same basic scenario when I put my kitchen stove in....you'll thank yourself for doing it right, that piece-of-mind when you go to sleep at night is worth more than that heat shield to begin with.....
Scotty, I agree 100% about doing it right. Otherwise your just sitting on a time bomb.

xclimber said:
Scotty Overkill said:
Scotty, I agree 100% about doing it right. Otherwise your just sitting on a time bomb.
amen on that...and I am sure that you are like me.....i've worked too hard for what my family has, and their lives are worth far more than those material things ......I like to do it 'overkill style'.......

Scotty Overkill said:
xclimber said:
Scotty Overkill said:
amen on that...and I am sure that you are like me.....i've worked too hard for what my family has, and their lives are worth far more than those material things ......I like to do it 'overkill style'.......
Yes sir Scotty, overkill never leaves you screwed! I'm the same way. Things you do never come back to bite you. Overkill makes it all worth while doing. Some people could care less. Guess that's just got to be in you, like making sure the wall switch cover plate screws both face up and down like the switch. Some people would never notice ;-P

Scotty Overkill said:
PRECISELY......lol.....
Scotty, I see you own two Napoleon wood stoves. Woody, who I bought my Esse Iron Heart from at Obadiah's sells the Napoleon wood stove line also. Him and I were talking one day and he was saying how they are one of his favorite stoves. Super clean burning. He said people who owned them always had super clean chimneys when ever he came to do an inspection.

xclimber said:
Scotty Overkill said:
PRECISELY......lol.....
Scotty, I see you own two Napoleon wood stoves. Woody, who I bought my Esse Iron Heart from at Obadiah's sells the Napoleon wood stove line also. Him and I were talking one day and he was saying how they are one of his favorite stoves. Super clean burning. He said people who owned them always had super clean chimneys when ever he came to do an inspection.
yes xclimber we own two napoleon stoves.....we don't have the nz3000 finished yet but it's getting there ......we love the 1900 in our kitchen and it is super clean burning .....but I will own that Esse someday....keep me posted on your project can't wait to see it when its done ........

Scotty Overkill said:
xclimber said:
Scotty Overkill said:
PRECISELY......lol.....
yes xclimber we own two napoleon stoves.....we don't have the nz3000 finished yet but it's getting there ......we love the 1900 in our kitchen and it is super clean burning .....but I will own that Esse someday....keep me posted on your project can't wait to see it when its done ........
Actually Obadiah's web page has 2 pictures of my stove set up off our main kitchen. Mines the one with no warming oven, just the stove and pipe.

xclimber said:
Scotty Overkill said:
xclimber said:
Scotty Overkill said:
PRECISELY......lol.....
Actually Obadiah's web page has 2 pictures of my stove set up off our main kitchen. Mines the one with no warming oven, just the stove and pipe.

That looks fantastic xclimber...I love it and I am jealous!...someday, I will have one in my kitchen....we actually built our hearth to accomodate that Esse when we remodeled....be bought a Napoleon 1900p, which we love, to go there till we see how good the NZ3000 heats our house, which I think it will do very well....as soon as that is determined, we're going for the Esse.....here's a pic of our hearth.....

Attachments

• 100_2879.jpg
    100_2879.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 138
Scotty Overkill said:
xclimber said:
Scotty Overkill said:
xclimber said:
Scotty Overkill said:
PRECISELY......lol.....

That looks fantastic xclimber...I love it and I am jealous!...someday, I will have one in my kitchen....we actually built our hearth to accomodate that Esse when we remodeled....be bought a Napoleon 1900p, which we love, to go there till we see how good the NZ3000 heats our house, which I think it will do very well....as soon as that is determined, we're going for the Esse.....here's a pic of our hearth.....
Thanks. You did a beautiful job on your hearth. Nice work!

Status
Not open for further replies.