Through the wall install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

W.B.

Oct 1, 2010
MO
I'm going to do a through the wall install and I'm confused about chimney pipe. Do I want double wall or triple wall? Who makes the best chimney pipe?

You want double wall (like DVL) to the wall, then triple wall (like Duratech/duraplus) through the wall thimble and up.

No dura tech is not triple wall it is a insulated class a chimney systems. Dura plus is triple wall with a layer of insulation. There is also airjet which is just triple wall no insulation. Personally i would recommend the double wall insulated stuff it keeps the temps up in the chimney better dura plus would be ok but it has less insulation so lower flue temps. As long as they are tested to ht ul standards they are safe to use but i fell the performance is better with double wall insulated. As far as the stove pipe in most cases single wall is fine unless double wall is speced by the stove manufacturer of you have clearance issues

And see, that's where I'm confused. I would think that the triple wall dura plus would keep flue temps higher than the double wall dura tech. Why is that not the case?

No the dura plus uses less insulation which is why they need the airspace in order to keep the outside temps down. Dura plus would work fine but regular double wall insulated stuff will work better in my opinion. There may be others that disagree but to me less insulation means lower flue temps.

Also be aware that "through the wall" installs can be subject to downdrafts and hard startups when cold. I have a through the wall installation for my downstairs stove that only gets used a few times a year when it's really cold out and it's notoriously hard to get it to draft from a cold start. I often have to stick a hair dryer in the pipe when it's really cold out to get things hot enough to start a draft and not smoke myself out.

I know and I wish I had other options. My first choice was going up through an upstairs bedroom and out through the roof. However, with my stove location and roof pitch there just isn't enough room to work in the attic. At least, I don't think there is. I probably only have a foot of rise between the rafters and the roof.

I know and I wish I had other options. My first choice was going up through an upstairs bedroom and out through the roof. However, with my stove location and roof pitch there just isn't enough room to work in the attic. At least, I don't think there is. I probably only have a foot of rise between the rafters and the roof.

If you can make an indoor install work instead of the through the wall option I highly recommend it based on my experience with mine. Unfortunately mine it was the only option because the pipe would have had to run through the middle of an upstairs bathroom.

A foot of rise between rafters and roof might be enough if you can fight the right ceiling thimble.

Besides the foot of clearance, I have a metal roof that I REALLY don't want to cut a hole in.

outside installs can work just fine is an indoor one a little better yes but if through the wall is the only option it will work fine

Reactions: firefighterjake
Through the wall install here . . . only time I typically have some issues with the draft is early fall and late spring . . . usually opening a nearby window fixes that problem . . . providing I remember to open the window before lighting up.

Besides the foot of clearance, I have a metal roof that I REALLY don't want to cut a hole in.

Gotcha, if it was a composite roof no biggie outside of making shingles match but that I completely understand.

You want double wall (like DVL) to the wall, then triple wall (like Duratech/duraplus) through the wall thimble and up.
There is double wall connector pipe and double wall chimney. DuraTech is double-wall class A pipe. DuraPlus is triple-wall class A pipe. DuraVent DVL is their double-wall connector pipe.

Last edited:
Especially for outside i would really recommend double wall insulated not the duraplus. But that is my opinion i am sure it would work i just feel it would work better with more insulation.

Can I get away with the galvalume finish on the outside or do I need stainless steel? My plan is to enclose the pipe in a chase but it may take me a year or two to get around to that.

You can use it outside i never do but if will last quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.