Through-the-wall vent pipe length

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Val

Mar 17, 2012
NY
I am wondering if it is prefered to run a straight through-the-wall vent pipe at 2 feet length or can 3 feet of straight length be used? I ask this because it seems like 3 feet of horizontal run is the maximun. But I think there are times when someone might not want the pellet stove backed right up to a wall, so you could get behind it for cleaning or to get to an electrical outlet, etc. Also, on the exterior of the house would you want about a foot away from certain types of siding? Like white vinyl for instance- so it doesnt get smoke soot on it? The 3 foot length would allow for extra clearance for these situations.

Check the manuals. Some (most) allow for a 4' max horizontal. But needs at least a 1/4" rise per ft. Some manufacturers may allow more. Some allow less. There are some members with systems that have over 5' of horizontal. Most are after a substantial Vertical section.

I used a 2ft. length through the wall. The back of my stove is about 8in. off the wall and with the adaptor on there is only about 3in. of smoke pipe in the house. Outside the end of the endcap is about 18in. off the house. This works well for me and I have no soot on the siding.

Status
Not open for further replies.