Throwing sparks: 2010 Hampton Hi300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigDave5150

Jan 16, 2017
Connecticut
Fellow Burners,

Help. After loading stove this morning, noticed one and then two more a parks shooting out from vent above door. I shut her down immediately for safety concerns and called dealers.

1. Coals were still red from overnight.
2. Shut off blower, opened door, stirred coals, put in four logs
3. Shut door, took off gloves, turned blower back on
4. Noticed one spark floating in air
5. Huh, never seen THAT before, stared in disbelief
6. Two more shot out, this time saw them come from vent area
7. Mini heart attack
8. Shut her down
9. Cleaned entire area of wood dust and debris (potential fuel)
10. Misted water around entire area
11. Tried to recreate event, unsuccessfully
12. Called Hampton, called couple friends with same stove, called dealers.

Thoughts:
Bad window/door gasket?
Spark got stuck in door and blown out when I turned fan back on?
One time anomaly? Or major hazard?

One dealer said might be a cracked fire box, drawing sparks through box and out vent.

Family is home today, stove is off, and I'm totally cleaning it out tonight, pulling blower unit, etc

Definitely not using again until professionally inspected and solved or warranty-replaced

I do not over-fire it, but it does run all day. Damper is always pushed-in almost all way

Anyone ever experience this? Please help.

Thanks,
Dave

My guess would be that you dropped a hot coal in front of the blower when you loaded and it got sucked in but having it checked is a good idea.

It's not shooting them out continuously right?
Honestly... It sounds like a tiny ember/ash blew out upon reloading. Then when you turned the blower on and it got picked up, whipped around the back the oxygen and movement cause it to heat up a bit and glow again to where you saw it blowing out from the vent... While obviously better safe than sorry, no biggie IMO... I've had it happen, I just watch it to make sure it's not continuing to glow once it stops moving/floating and go about my day.. Again just my 2cents..

I would think that if it were a crack in the fire box you would be getting smoke in the house also. I have the same insert and never had that happen.

Everyone,

Thanks for the replies. Discovered issue. All is well. Problem was combo of worn-out door gasket and a door latch that I've never adjusted in all of its seven winters.

Ordered new door and window gaskets. And while I'm awaiting its delivery, I removed one of the four stacked washers from the top and bottom latch bolts, making for a tighter door seal.

No more sparks!

However, now that I've got a tighter seal, my glass blackens up very quickly. Coincidence?

Once I replace the gaskets, I'll adjust the latch accordingly.

Thanks again everyone!
DAVE

Is the glass blackening on one specific side or corner? If so the gasket is most likely not sealing well in that area. Try the dollar bill test there to check.

Is the glass blackening on one specific side or corner? If so the gasket is most likely not sealing well in that area. Try the dollar bill test there to check.

Yes, good point. But why was the glass much cleaner with a looser latch, than it is now with a tighter latch? Will glass be totally black when I replace the gasket?

Yes, good point. But why was the glass much cleaner with a looser latch, than it is now with a tighter latch? Will glass be totally black when I replace the gasket?

More air was freely traveling over the glass before you adjusted the latch to seal the door tighter.

Shouldn't be. If it is blacker, replace the wood.