Thumbscrew lube

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiger

Feeling the Heat
Feb 3, 2014
Seabrook, MD (DC suburbs)
Wow, just typing that, it doesn't look right.

After, hmm, 15-18 weekend fires, my newish Accentra insert if fighting me a bit. On the bottom of the firepot is an access door, perhaps 2" x 4", that I've been removing to clean behind. It is held in place by two thumbscrews. Alas, over the past few fires, one of the thumbscrews has been rather difficult to move, and last night I was almost tempted to try to get in there with a pair of pliers. I cannot unscrew it as many turns as I could previously and only barely got the plate off this time.

Options? I was in part wondering if this is a "maintenence item" and requires lubrication and, if so, what grease would (a) tolerate the heat and (b) not interfere with operation.

Never seize. Graphite in it. Ask a mechanic. Great for glow plugs and spark plugs etc.

Second that. Comes in a tube or can with brush at any auto parts emporum or box store....and yes, 'Thumbscrew Lube' don't look right but we get the jist of your question anyway, Neversieze is the Permatex tradename btw. Because it's a hot place, I'd use copper fortified never sieze.

Never seize. Graphite in it. Ask a mechanic. Great for glow plugs and spark plugs etc.

Jeez -- I have that in the garage. Great idea. I just hope I can get it applied w/out snapping off the one tight thumbscrew.

Lube the tight one with a good spray lube or use a torch on it to heat it some then apply some oil to the screw and while its cooling should suck in some of the oil and slowly work the screw back and forth.

Hit it with PB blaster let it sit then never seize once it is off, I had same problem with wing nuts on blower motor

Reactions: tiger
My wife accuses me of having loose wing nuts....:) PB works but stinks.

Hit it with PB blaster let it sit then never seize once it is off, I had same problem with wing nuts on blower motor

ANOTHER item I have handy in the garage (see avatar picture). Hey, as long as it doesn't harm the stoves operation or controls in any way, I'll try that. A little stink, I can deal with that.

Used both, now turns smoothly, hopefully that will stay that way at least for a reasonable # of post-weekend cleanings.

I had forgotten how messy anti-seize is on your fingers. :p

I usually reapply every couple of months, glad it worked out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.