Thunk!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm testing out my vigilant stove for the first time. This is a used stove that I have placed in my kitchen where another stove once stood. So far, I've got a good draft. The new gaskets are doing their job nicely. The spider living under the stove is having second thoughts.

As the stove is heating up, it has made a couple of thunking noises, like someone rapped the think with a rubber mallet. I'm guessing this is just normal thermal expansion. But I wanted to make sure. I think my heat cure on the stove black is just about done.

One of my stoves makes a similar sound, at a specific temperature, near the beginning of each burn. I've heard others make similar comments.

between all the seams a stove has and baffles and the like if you only get one noise you have done well.
you'll probably find it does it everytime it passes thru a certain temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.