Ticks ( any suggestions)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptoneleg

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2010
Virginia
Darn Ticks are terrible around here this year I had plans on getting ahead on my wood. Everytime I go out and cut wood I come back with at least 1 on me. I use the spray for ticks with deet insect repellent, but hasn't done much good .

My dog doesn't get ticks I put fronline on him, I jokingly asked at TC If they had frontline for humans, was actually told some put flea and tick collars around their boots, well I bought 2 havent used them yet.

Just wondered how others dealt with this. :zip:

My solution is the pyrethrya sp? based ear tags for cattle. Attach one to each boot lace & let them hang on the toe area of the boot. Keeps the insecticide off the skin, as well as the ticks. A C

Ive had more ticks this year on me than my dogs, and that was before I put the frontline on them. Ive been wearing high rubber boots and spraying my legs and boots with deet.

A very bad year for ticks, I am either in tall grass (work) or in the woods/forest (scrounging wood) or in my back yard (a combo of grass and forest). I have found I think 4 on me thus far this year. I think it may be due to the wet spring we had that they are so bad. I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see if there is any good solutions.

Shawn

The "wash in" pemetherin works pretty well. I have found it at Cabela's. Bascially its a big ziplock bag and a container of liquid, you fill the bag with the clothes you will be wearing, pout in the liquid and let it soak , then dry the clothes out. It last several washings. Pemetherin is inactivated by skin contact its not worth spraying on your skin. One big warning is it has been reported to be lethal to cats.

Permethrin, Period, end of story...

It's what the military uses, it's what the serious outdoorsman uses, it's what I use, and it is what you should use....

Don't go to Cabelas or Dick's or any other sporting goods store to buy the stuff though. You'll pay $20 for a pint of .5% permethrin.

Go to your local farm store or home improvement store and look for carpenter ant killer. Read the label and find the contents. You want a carpenter ant killer that ONLY has permethrin in it. So look under active ingredients (inert ones don't matter too much) and find a product that only lists permethrin. You have now found the concentrated permethrin that all the companies buy and water down to put in that little $20 pint bottle. Take this concentrate and water it down to .5% and go to town.

I picked some up at Menards that was 10% permethrin, 1 qt for $15. That means I got 40 times the permethrin for 3/4 the price.

I've found one on my leg and 2 on my back so far this year. The ones one the back must have hitched a ride when I was mowing and brushed a tree. The leg rider I got while walking in the woods.
I now spray all around the top of socks and then top of pant legs with deet spray, but haven't gotten the permethrin yet. That's next.
Good tip, CountryBoy19, thanks.
If that doesn't work, the scorched earth plan may have to be put into action. :vampire:

My personal record is 13 ticks on one 150-200 yard walk through tall grass.

Bugboy said:

Are you bragging?

Thanks to the poster who suggested an alternative source of pemetherin. I did find the Cabelas stuff expensive but compared to the spray on stuff (which doesnt last as long) it was a deal.

cptoneleg said:
Darn Ticks are terrible around here this year I had plans on getting ahead on my wood. Everytime I go out and cut wood I come back with at least 1 on me. I use the spray for ticks with deet insect repellent, but hasn't done much good .

My dog doesn't get ticks I put fronline on him, I jokingly asked at TC If they had frontline for humans, was actually told some put flea and tick collars around their boots, well I bought 2 havent used them yet.

I'm using backwoods off with 30 percent deet sprayed on my boots on up then when the chaps and the cutting shirt go on they get srayed again, so far things have been good.

Zap

Bugboy said:
cptoneleg said:
Bugboy said:

Are you bragging?

Sure, wouldn't you?

O K my record is 3 on a 4 hr c/s/s spree, so you got me :zip:

Bugboy said:

That explains your handle, did you get lyme disease? I know several poeple that have had it in the last couple years, its getting uncomfortably close.

weatherguy said:
Bugboy said:

That explains your handle, did you get lyme disease? I know several poeple that have had it in the last couple years, its getting uncomfortably close.

We don't really get Lyme out this way.

My brother always talks about his idea of placing ticks "on himself" as a "marital aid". Sounds logical to me.

I got a bad case of Lyme about three weeks ago. Never saw the little bugger, just got a fever and then I saw the rash. Screaming headache like you wouldn't believe, and the fever went to 104º at one point. They put me on three weeks of doxycycline, but it's almost gone and I still feel like $hit. Going in tomorrow for another look-see. Damn things carry more than just Lyme.

Worst thing is I got one of the lesser seen symptoms - Bell's Palsy of the facial nerve. Whole right side of my face I can't control. I first noticed it when I couldn't keep a cigarette in place with my lips, kept falling into my lap. By the next morning I couldn't swallow or talk. I couldn't even close my right eye, so I've had to put artificial tears in it all day long. Then there's the vertigo. Never know when that's gonna hit, had to sit down right in the middle of the HD parking lot on Saturday or I would have fallen right over. As it was, I walked around in there like I was drunk. Then I started to talk and I sounded like I was, too. "Scooge me? Ahm wookin' fa wubba wassas faw gawdin' hodez?" :shut:

This thing is the pits. I do so hate ticks with a passion. Been reading about spraying permethrin on your clothes and letting it dry. Supposed to last a while. Also, they say wear light colored clothing so you see them easier, and tuck your pants in your socks and your shirt in your pants. Mine got me right at the waistband. You can also get the stuff in bulk fairly cheaply from Agway and such places and spread it around your property with a lawn spreader. Not much help for cutting out in the woods, though.

Never got tick-bit my whole life until about 10-15 years ago, and I've spent considerable time out in the bush over the years. Now they're everywhere. Damn global war... I mean climate chan... I mean the bloody ticks are taking over now because the conditions for the expansion of their range are steadily improving.

cptoneleg said:

http://cfpub.epa.gov/oppref/insect/...ull&Company=null&Registration;=&Submit=Search

Zap

product_17_Bug_Buster_Plus_Suit.html

We bought 2 of these suits many, many moons ago so they probably have changed some during the years but they are absolutely amazing. They will keep ticks, skeeters and no-see-ups and black flies off you. Only drawback was at the time they were fairly expensive but were worth it if you had to go in a badly infested area for any length of time. Well, maybe one more drawback; no matter what is said, it will not be as cool as not wearing them.

Battenkiller said:
Never got tick-bit my whole life until about 10-15 years ago, and I've spent considerable time out in the bush over the years. Now they're everywhere. Damn global war... I mean climate chan... I mean the bloody ticks are taking over now because the conditions for the expansion of their range are steadily improving.

When I was a kid, I lived in WI, andwe had a cabin on a lake up north. I remember seeing the occasional tick around our house, but not up at the cabin.

My brother still has the lake cabin, and a few years ago we went down to spend an extended vacation there. Not having seen a tick for 20 years, I just about hit the ceiling when I awakened in the night to find them crawling across me. [shudder] Went for a walk in the woods, and make the mistake of sitting down on a log for awhile. I had about forty of them crawling on me before I got back to the cabin. I just don't remember anything like that when I was a kid, and we were out and about all the time then. Fortunately, they haven't made it up here--yet. I assume one of these days someone's dog will come home with a preggers tick on its fur, and the party will be over.

Best wishes for a quick recovery, BK--that sounds like the pits, indeed.

snowleopard said:
Battenkiller said:

When I was a kid, I lived in WI, andwe had a cabin on a lake up north. I remember seeing the occasional tick around our house, but not up at the cabin.

My brother still has the lake cabin, and a few years ago we went down to spend an extended vacation there. Not having seen a tick for 20 years, I just about hit the ceiling when I awakened in the night to find them crawling across me. [shudder] Went for a walk in the woods, and make the mistake of sitting down on a log for awhile. I had about forty of them crawling on me before I got back to the cabin. I just don't remember anything like that when I was a kid, and we were out and about all the time then. Fortunately, they haven't made it up here--yet. I assume one of these days someone's dog will come home with a preggers tick on its fur, and the party will be over.

Best wishes for a quick recovery, BK--that sounds like the pits, indeed.

You know reading your post Illegal Immigrants, are like Ticks :zip:

trailmaker said:
Cowboy Billy said:
I've been thinking getting some guinea hens and turning them loose around the property.

http://www.lymediseasepa.com/GuineaHens.htm

Billy

We had Guinea hens growing up. They make what is possibly the most annoying sound in the animal kingdom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_B2lMEyBsk&feature=related

I imagine other types of fowl would eat ticks also, I would look into that before getting Guinea Hens. They're neat birds but the sounds are just awful.

Many old farmers used to keep some hens around because that way they knew if someone was there or some strange animal was coming. It works! A great doorbell too.

Status
Not open for further replies.