Tight fit! Pellet transport

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiger

Feeling the Heat
Feb 3, 2014
Seabrook, MD (DC suburbs)
With an Ace hardware 10 minutes from the office telling me they had some pellets but a 10-bag max, I darted over to get some. Not worth hitching up the trailer to my wife's car for that much, the guy in the store helped me see what we could get into the Boxster. Two in the trunk, four in the 'frunk' in the nose, four more on the passenger seat. Ten! I might do this regularly through the winter if supplies hold.

These are Lignetics and, based on positive comments here, looking forward to trying them, will I notice a difference versus Hamer's? For that matter, how to observe and determine differences between brands anyhow? OK, amount of ash in tray, I get that, not sure about "hotter", etc.

Reactions: newyorker and bags
*oh god laughing!*

hauling pellets in a porsche. priceless.
i have contemplated using our outback to haul loads. i guess i'd be a heavy hauler compared to you.;lol

There is a lady that gets pellets at the same place I do, she drives a little Honda hybrid. She can fit 7 bags in at one time. She will use 6 tons of pellets for the year. And they are all brought home 7 bags at a time.

I will put 20 bags in the Saturn Vue with the back seats folded down. But that is pushing it a little. :)

Exactly what Porsche had in mind when engineering their cars, " make sure there is enough room for pellets". Haha. As far as comparing pellets, ash content ash you said, but it's amazing how fast you can take a liking or hating to different brands. Give it time and the differences jump out at you. As for me, I just have them forklift the pallet into the back of my Silverado and call it a day. Haha

There is a lady that gets pellets at the same place I do, she drives a little Honda hybrid. She can fit 7 bags in at one time. She will use 6 tons of pellets for the year. And they are all brought home 7 bags at a time.

That's great -- hopefully the dealer is giving her the pallet rate?

Not sure how often I really want to do this... this dealer is in the next county over (barely) in a direction I normally don't go. If in the neighborhood, sure, but not "dedicated trips".

The car definitely feels different with the extra weight on board; no corner-carving into I get these home and unloaded.

With an Ace hardware 10 minutes from the office telling me they had some pellets but a 10-bag max, I darted over to get some. Not worth hitching up the trailer to my wife's car for that much, the guy in the store helped me see what we could get into the Boxster. Two in the trunk, four in the 'frunk' in the nose, four more on the passenger seat. Ten! I might do this regularly through the winter if supplies hold.

These are Lignetics and, based on positive comments here, looking forward to trying them, will I notice a difference versus Hamer's? For that matter, how to observe and determine differences between brands anyhow? OK, amount of ash in tray, I get that, not sure about "hotter", etc.
I'd try to balance the load, 2 in back, 2 in frunk, and 6 or more in the passenger seat. Slide the seat back and tilt it back too, and start by putting one on the floor and then load it up.

Get creative. You can fit more than ten bags in that puppy. What about the passenger floor board stacked up to seat height then take off from there. Leave your spare at home. I'd say you could squeak a couple of bags behind the seats. Roll the top down and the possibilities are almost limitless.

And you all call us hill billys................................:rolleyes:

I almost bought an '08 Boxter S Spyder LTD Edition. It had more horses and all. 315 hp If I recall correctly. That's not too shabby for two seats, a shifter, and a steering wheel sitting on the car. It was quick and nimble.

Any 4 passengers car should be able to haul the driver + 600 lbs of payload no problem. That's you and 15 bags! :)

I think that if I had to haul 7 or 10 bags at a time I would just turn on my oil burner.

Reactions: bags
Next time, post pics! Instant lowering kit. Slightlely cheaper than Bilsteins and a set of H&R springs. ; )

Reactions: Ranger72
Next time, post pics! Instant lowering kit. Slightlely cheaper than Bilsteins and a set of H&R springs. ; )
LOL! He was rolling and pimping on Billysteins that day. Knock offs made out back by cousin Cletus. Wait until one of those bags bust open loading that bad boy. Things that make you go Hmmmm....;hm They make bling bling hitches now a days. All kinds of sporty ones. A 2" or 2 5/16"'s ball and your in business. Hell, go all out and throw a pintle hook hitch on. LOL! I can honestly say you might be a pioneer there if you hitch up. I've never seen a hitch on a Boxter, Cayman, 911, or others so IMO you'd be charting new territories. I haven't even seen one on any of the Cayenne SUV's yet for that matter. Giddy Up Cowboy!:)

Now the Sunbeam is getting nervous........

Reactions: Skier76
almost bought an '08 Boxter S Spyder LTD Edition. It had more horses and all. 315 hp If I recall correctly. That's not too shabby for two seats, a shifter, and a steering wheel sitting on the car. It was quick and nimble.

One of those low slung sports cars would last maybe the trip down the road I live on in the winter.....maybe..........l'd probably be yanking it out of a snowbank or mud puddle with the FWA tractor. Out here it's 4x4 or FWD and ground clearance. I've seen mud ruts a foot and a half deep.

One of those low slung sports cars would last maybe the trip down the road I live on in the winter.....maybe..........l'd probably be yanking it out of a snowbank or mud puddle with the FWA tractor. Out here it's 4x4 or FWD and ground clearance. I've seen mud ruts a foot and a half deep.
I have 4WD diesel trucks. Looked at one for a garage puppy and sunny day fun. Had to burst the wife's bubble. Maybe when the kids are outta here adios style. I'm into motorcycles presently and two of the three are dual sports or street and trail. The other is a long haul BMW sport touring. I like stuff that will handle tough situations and adverse terrain. Not into pushing stuck stuff out. Even my tractor is 4WD. My long driveway thru the woods would be abusive for a sports car.

Times like that I'm glad I got my ole Silverado dually, 8ft bed. Two pallets at a time. Now if I can just find a cheap pair of forks for the front end loader, I could unload them a bit easier!

No driveway tractors here, the smallest I own is 100PTO FWA, all cabs with air-heat air ride seats and good tunes. I spend long days in tractors My 100 horse will handle 6K on the loader, I can grab 2 full pallets at a time (pelets) and I stack them 2 pallets high. I have a 110 horse too, but only one loader tractor and a skid steer.

I load my pellets all at one time at the store on the 28 foot tandem axle goosebeck. Never haul anything in the bed of the pickup except a 110 gallon diesel tank for fueling tractors in the field.

Even my daily driver is a 4x4. A little Chebby tracker.

They like to see me pick up pellets, Real easy for them to side load the trailer. I lkie to watch the 'creative' ways people pick up pellets in the fall. Amusing.

I get my corn delivered and augered into a grain tank, usually 1200 bushel a year. Some goes for feed, some gets roasted.

I have 4WD diesel trucks. Looked at one for a garage puppy and sunny day fun. Had to burst the wife's bubble. Maybe when the kids are outta here adios style. I'm into motorcycles presently and two of the three are dual sports or street and trail. The other is a long haul BMW sport touring. I like stuff that will handle tough situations and adverse terrain. Not into pushing stuck stuff out. Even my tractor is 4WD. My long driveway thru the woods would be abusive for a sports car.

I have a 4x4 diesel 4 door long bed Ford but there is no exceitment in diesels for me. It's a farm truck. I'd never consider any diesel for anything but a working truck. Get a gas engine if you want a play truck.... my truck don't play, it works. You'll never realize a break even with a diesel and it's hard on a diesel not to work it. They cost more initially, cost more to run and don't have the get up and go a gas engine has.

I'm a contractor so mine get a good thrashing. They take it too. Newer Chebby dirtymax 4 door crew long box and Dodge 2500 HD Quad cab. IMO short bed and diesel work truck just don't jive. Even if only used to tow. Resale gets crushed and who doesn't need the extra bed space anyway. My first one was a 1984 F 350 4x4 6.9. Then I had two 7.3's. Great trucks. When it was time for a new one the 6.0's were having too many issues and Ford dealers thought they were sitting on gold mines.

Dodge and Hebby Chebby are great tough trucks. My Duramax is actually pretty fast too. All stock. Way quicker than any others I've owned.

Yeah, I should have taken a picture but honestly, the car wasn't really sitting any lower -- I special-ordered the factory upgrade suspension, stiffer and 20mm lower; seemed to handle the extra weight OK.

Actually, they do make a hitch for the earlier-generation Boxster/Cayman twins, but not the latest version... I'm waiting. Meanwhile, the spousemobile Honda S2000 gets the hitch but at the time I e-mailed the dealer, they said 10-bag limit so why bother hitching up?

No, I don't think this car would handle a Michigan winter but around here, this weekend I put on the winter wheels/tires ($$$$). That'll be good for 4-5 inches of snow and if more than that, the nation's capital shuts down completely anyway. But I won't go out in the snow for pellets unless completely out.

True, the Sunbeam could handle this, it's built on a small commercial chassis (google Hillman Husky, I'm not kidding), but that's a major "I don't think so". _g

As i said in another topic, I concede this is a lot of effort to avoid owning a truck.

LOL! He was rolling and pimping on Billysteins that day. Knock offs made out back by cousin Cletus. Wait until one of those bags bust open loading that bad boy. Things that make you go Hmmmm....;hm They make bling bling hitches now a days. All kinds of sporty ones. A 2" or 2 5/16"'s ball and your in business. Hell, go all out and throw a pintle hook hitch on. LOL! I can honestly say you might be a pioneer there if you hitch up. I've never seen a hitch on a Boxter, Cayman, 911, or others so IMO you'd be charting new territories. I haven't even seen one on any of the Cayenne SUV's yet for that matter. Giddy Up Cowboy!:)

Now the Sunbeam is getting nervous........

As a guy, and a home owner, I can't imagine not owning a truck.

...as an old man and a farmer, I can't imagine not owning a couple tractors................;lol

You have to do as they say....What about delivery? To be honest I am contractor and own big diesel trucks, equipment, dump truck, big trailers and small. I have the capability to haul 10 tons of pellets at a time easily and a way to unload them at home on the skids. I opted for the easier route due to time constraints and other factors.

I had mine delivered. LOL! Mad sense and in fact it was likely cost effective all said and done . By the time I hooked up a trailer, towed it up and back about 12 miles each way, and took the time to do it and unload with equipment here it was well worth the $60 delivery fee. I didn't touch a bag. The delivery truck had a piggy back fork truck on the rear and the set the skids right where I wanted them nice and neat. Well worth it. You would need a place to store them. Just and easier option.

The wife is driving a new Subaru Outback now. Kid hauler. Anyway I ran it up to the dealer for the free oil change and stuff. While I was waiting my buddy came over and tossed a key at me. His family owns the dealership. Then he pointed to one of the new STI's and said take it for a spin. I didn't really want to but did since he insisted and I was just killing time in the waiting room. That was an impressive little ride too. I had never even been in one. He rode with me and encourage me to get on it. They move pretty decent for an Asian AWD. Once the turbo hit it was game on. In fact the turbo stayed spooled up and got up instantly. I was a little surprised. Then again the sticker was $45K. He had three new ones at the time and they were all sold within a week or two.

heh,

Had a squeaky yankee neighbor who paved his 500' driveway by 'Liberating' cold patch from the town barn, in five 5 gal buckets at a time in his buick, for over two years.

I agree with the above. I bought my first truck when I was fairly young and will always have at least one around even if I was in an office job which I may be soon enough. Same goes for the tractor, skid steer, quad, and other high use utility type rides. Worth their weight in gold.

heh,

Had a squeaky yankee neighbor who paved his 500' driveway by 'Liberating' cold patch from the town barn, in five 5 gal buckets at a time in his buick, for over two years.
Some people are too tight for their own good......... How'd that work out for him? LOL! Sounds like a splotchy mess to me. What did it look like and how intact functionally was it a year after he was finished with that masterpiece? Or is he still humping 5 gal. buckets every chance he gets?

As a guy, and a home owner, I can't imagine not owning a truck.

It was 25 years as a homeowner before I bought my first truck. On my second one now and I can't believe what a difference it makes and how I got by without one for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.