Tight Room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osage

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2011
kansas
Have a 350sq ft finished room in my shop that I heat with a Fisher Mama Bear (now before all the flaming starts about it being over kill and I should be using a 5gal. bucket with some leaves) I got it for a song and a dance and can't do either. The room is so tight that when I close the door your ears will pop. Could this cause suffication while running the stove? The reason I ask is that there are times when I sleep out there with the grandsons.
Been thinking about putting a drier vent in one of the walls.

I would highly recommend getting an Air Exchanger: http://www.homeperfect.com/fantech-aev-1000-ventillation-fans.html?gclid=CI_9lc_L7roCFc9QOgodIV8AcQ

An Air Exchanger Ventilator (AEV) is designed to provide fresh air into a building while exhausting an equal amount of stale air. During the winter months, the incoming cold fresh air is warmed by mixing it with return air before it is supplied to the home. During summer months when the indoor space is air conditioned, the AEV will help in cooling the incoming fresh air with the stale air that is being exhausted. Fantech AEV's are designed to run continuous or on intermittent, giving the homeowner complete control over their air quality. Continuous low speed ventilation is recommended, which will help eliminate carbon dioxide, voc's and other gases as well as freshen up the home. Intermittent high speed ventilation can be obtained through a variety of optional remote controls.

And I would think twice about sleeping in a tight room with several people especially with a running woodstove. You may have carbon monoxide detectors and think you are save but you will also accumulate lots of carbon dioxide which makes you drowsy and confused not realizing what is going on. It is something scuba divers have to be aware of: http://precisiondiving.net/blog/hidden-killer-understanding-carbon-dioxide-toxicity/ When you slept there with your grandkids did you ever wake up feeling groggy and with a headache? CO2 and lack of oxygen is most likely to blame for that.

And I would think twice about sleeping in a tight room with several people especially with a running woodstove. You may have carbon monoxide detectors and think you are save but you will also accumulate lots of carbon dioxide which makes you drowsy and confused not realizing what is going on. It is something scuba divers have to be aware of: http://precisiondiving.net/blog/hidden-killer-understanding-carbon-dioxide-toxicity/ When you slept there with your grandkids did you ever wake up feeling groggy and with a headache? CO2 and lack of oxygen is most likely to blame for that.
Have never felt bad. However I have been letting the stove go out during the night. Will probably open a window a little from now on.
Thanks for the response.

That stove probably doesn't have an actual provision for outside air (OAK kit), but maybe you could fashion something. At least everybody in the room won't be competing with the stove for air.

Simple answer, this is unsafe for a sleeping area and I can't recommend a bandaid fix. I would only use an oil filled, electric radiator when sleeping out there. There is not just one life at stake here. The small cost of electricity has to be worth more than risking the grandchildren's lives.

Reactions: BrotherBart
So are we saying that opening a window is not a good option?
BG you say an oil filled radiator, I do have a small electric forced air heater that I use when I don't want to light the stove.
Thanks for all the responses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.