Tile clean up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DonCT

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2005
Bristol, Connecticut
I didn't want to highjack the other thread so I made this one. kd460 talked about cleaning dried up grout off of natural unfinished slate, but what about glazed ceramic. That is what type I laid for my hearth. It was the 12"x12" glazed ceramic by Marazzi that I got at Home Cheapo.

As you can see from the pictures, I didn't get all the grout cleaned up and now it looks like permanent snow on my tiles. Do I just get a sanding wheel and grind it off, or is there a chemical stripper that will do the job as well. I am alittle concerned with damaging the tops of the tile.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k104/sundedo/Fire/DSC00331.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k104/sundedo/Fire/FireplacePix02.jpg

I'd like to finish this project of mine sometime before I die, and the fiance is complaining about my tile job. Oh well, I can take solice that it was my first time, and I told her it adds character :)

Well at least it matches the soapstone ;-P I would wait for a few more replies before you would take my word on it but for me when all else fails then it get out the "Muriatic Acid" I'm sure there is something just for you situation. Muriatic Acid is really nasty stuff so be warned.

Hi, Don:

Don't grind or sand it off!!!! That will ruin the tile for sure. I think the muriatic acid is the way to go It will be slow, but I think it should loosen it up enough on the tiles. Be careful on the grout joints though, you don't want to eat away at that. Oh, and don't forget the gloves, ventilation, eye protection, etc... That is pretty nasty stuff.

Take it slow, and you should be able to get it off

Muriatic is about your best try. Its pretty hard to get off of a dull porous tile even with that stuff. I know its of little help now. but sealing the heck out of the tile before grouting helps a lot with the grout clean up.

Actually muratic is bad for tile and grout. I would never reccomend using it. Phosphoric acid is what you want. Your in luck that it is glazed. The glazed products can handle a stronger acid.

A better product is this:

http://www.aquamix.com/for_professionals/products/pg_detail.asp?pdid=32077&pgid=9833

Follow the instructions I gave in this post:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/3292/

And as usual, read the label, read the instructions sheet listed under "technical bulletin" on the aquamix link I provided, read the msds, and test it in a spot that wont be seen. That product should do the trick. If it does not, send me a pm and we can figure it out.

Good luck with it, KD

Hi Don;

You may find it easier to just get new tile.
Try some vinegar first before the acid as it can be dangerous in confined areas.
Is that grout down in the tile surface? If so you can try to stain it to match the tile .
You could just leave there and let the ash take care of it for you.

Don, how long has it been in place? If it's only a day or 2, you can sometime scrub with a damp rag and water (and lots of elbow grease) and make a fair amount of progress. Now, if it's been a few weeks, I'm thinking these guys acid solutions may be a better match, I haven't tried working on some thats really dried.

Bri

Vinegar is acetic acid at about 1 or 2%. Standard phosphoric acid based CLEANER is about 10%, the heavy duty acid cleaner is stronger than that, but, I don't recall how strong. For routine cleaning, the vinegar works good, however not strong enough to break the bond of the grout.

Don, did you use latex or purchase a grout with latex additive in the grout? If you did, when using the above product, extremely hot water will help, just be aware of fumes. KD

The product you want is Haze Remover, available in the tile section of Home Despot or Lowes. Actually, the one I use is Citric Acid based. Do not consider anything more harsh. Go ahead and use a piece of Scotchbrite to polish the tile after you let the Haze Remove sit for a few minutes. Wipe up with damp rag rinsed in clean plain water.

Have cleaned tens of thousands of tiles like this, and it works.

Edit: Btw, just noticed its been six months. When applying the Haze Remover, just apply it to the tile and not the grout, since it will make the grout soft if it sits too long, but it can sit on glazed tile awhile. Scrub with the Scotchbrite, and you will be in good shape.

Muratic acid. Try this.. Got an extra peice of tile left over? Put some of the acid on the tile for a bit...be sure it doesn't damage the tile. If it's all good, use the acid, but be careful. Muratic acid is a very standard method to clean brick.

Status
Not open for further replies.