Tile Floor Questions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njtomatoguy

Feeling the Heat
Jun 20, 2006
Maple Shade, NJ
I searched, and couldn't find anything.
I have a small house. Stove is in the Living room.
Tiled the whole living room, and hallway leading to the bedrooms and bath.
I used to have asbestos tile and an area rug.
Someone has been trying to convince me that the ceramic tile was a mistake, and it will be very
cold. I am over a dirt crawlspace. New plywood sub-floor, then hardi-backer, then tile.
Will my floors be cold in the winter?

Thanks,
NJT

I ripped up my living room carpet in the middle of last winter. Last winter was my first with with a stove in the living room. Previously, I had a wood furnace in the basement, and duct loss and radiant heat kept the basement in the mid to upper 60s. My floor was cold last winter. I had new carpet installed recently, and already notice the difference.

If I already had a nice looking tile floor, would I tear it up? Absolutely not. Socks and/or slippers.

Yes, your tile floor will be cold in the winter. I have tile in my upstair kitchen above a heated basement and it is sort of cold. The tile in the sunroom is cold except in july and august. Tile floors feel cold even tho they may be the same temperature as the carpet. You feel heat movement, and tile floor conduct heat away from your feet a lot better than things like carpet.

Is there insulation below the floor? your crawl space should be insulated and probably is, but you didn't mention it.

they'll at least feel cold
+1 on area rugs

course, I have carpetted the kitchen
I like barefeets

Thanks for the replies.
Fired up the stove last night. It warmed the hearth and about half the LR floor real nice.
I did the barefeets test.(billb3) It was ok. Already have camo slippers picked out. I just had the floor done
so I don't want to cover it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.