Tile layed, Q about single or double wall stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bowhunter3714

Dec 6, 2007
Missouri
Finished laying the tile today. Grout will go in Tue or Wed. Stove hopfully will be in by the begainning of Feb.
My question: How much of a differance is there in the heat output between these two pipes. The double layer is from DURA/PLUS and the single is from Supervent.
Is there really much differance between these two brands?
I have hand outs from about both companys and Supervent does not bost about their product. However DURA/PLUS states the following:
This is from a handout:
Chimney stays cool on the outside at all times to protect the building during normal stove operation.
Chimney stays hot on the inside to discourage the deposit of creosote, while providing the correct draft for stove efficiency.
If a red hot creosote chimney fire does erupt, the design does two things: It lets the hot metal flex and expand freely so the metal cannot warp--and it cools the chimeny. Results--both chimeny and the building are protected.
DURA/VENT is the only metal chimney that meets these three requirements of chimney fire safety.
Any opinions from anyone would be greatful, Thanks.

Double wall gets you reduced clearances to combustibles and also is supposed to keep the flue gasses warmer because it keeps the heat in, instead of radiating it out. Some people like the single wall pipe because it radiates more heat into the house. At our shop we put in double wall Duravent DVL by default. We don't even offer the single wall (DuraBlack) unless someone demands it.

Could a person use two sections of pipe. Top half double wall and the bottom half single wall? Keeping the upper half flue gasses warm but still allow for the bottom half to provide additional heat into the room.

I have been told it's one or the other from stove to chimney
I run double wall I don't notice much difference

Status
Not open for further replies.