1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Tile materials for wood burning stove surround

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by runderwo, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. runderwo

runderwo New Member

Loc:
    tulsa, ok
    It's sitting on a concrete slab. Do I just use regular tile, adhesive, and grout as if I were tiling a kitchen?

Also, how do I know what kind of fire brick is recommended for the stove? It's an Orley wood burning stove from the 70's, and it is a cylindrical type, about 24 inches wide, side loading, with a front sight glass, and a 6" top outlet. I don't have any other documentation about it.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Pretty much if you are on a concrete slab.

What are the dimensions of the firebricks? With luck, they will be stock sized.
  3. runderwo

runderwo New Member

Loc:
    tulsa, ok
    As far as I can tell, there are not any firebricks in it currently, but I don't know how to tell if there are supposed to be or if it would benefit from having them.
  4. edthedawg

edthedawg Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast, CT
    Don't use tile "adhesive". That sounds like pre-mixed stuff. It'll heat up and outgas & break-down on you. Use a thinset (mix w/ water) like Versabond.
  5. runderwo

runderwo New Member

Loc:
    tulsa, ok
    Thanks, you're right, I did mean thinset. I have not had good luck with pre-mixed adhesive on any other floors either. Seems all it's good for is surrounds and backsplashes.
  6. edthedawg

edthedawg Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast, CT
    You don't mean "tub surrounds" I hope??? :)
  7. runderwo

runderwo New Member

Loc:
    tulsa, ok
    Personally, the only place I've gotten it to not come loose is on a countertop backsplash. I assumed it would work the same on a surround. If it doesn't, it kind of negates the advantage to the pre mix, which is that it's tackier than thinset and therefore easier to deal with on walls.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.