Tile materials for wood burning stove surround

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

runderwo

Mar 12, 2009
tulsa, ok
It's sitting on a concrete slab. Do I just use regular tile, adhesive, and grout as if I were tiling a kitchen?

Also, how do I know what kind of fire brick is recommended for the stove? It's an Orley wood burning stove from the 70's, and it is a cylindrical type, about 24 inches wide, side loading, with a front sight glass, and a 6" top outlet. I don't have any other documentation about it.

Pretty much if you are on a concrete slab.

What are the dimensions of the firebricks? With luck, they will be stock sized.

As far as I can tell, there are not any firebricks in it currently, but I don't know how to tell if there are supposed to be or if it would benefit from having them.

Don't use tile "adhesive". That sounds like pre-mixed stuff. It'll heat up and outgas & break-down on you. Use a thinset (mix w/ water) like Versabond.

Thanks, you're right, I did mean thinset. I have not had good luck with pre-mixed adhesive on any other floors either. Seems all it's good for is surrounds and backsplashes.

runderwo said:
Thanks, you're right, I did mean thinset. I have not had good luck with pre-mixed adhesive on any other floors either. Seems all it's good for is surrounds and backsplashes.

You don't mean "tub surrounds" I hope??? :)

Personally, the only place I've gotten it to not come loose is on a countertop backsplash. I assumed it would work the same on a surround. If it doesn't, it kind of negates the advantage to the pre mix, which is that it's tackier than thinset and therefore easier to deal with on walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.