1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Tile on plywood input, countertop-

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Beetle-Kill, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Colorado- near the Divide
    Grrrrrr....... Tried to cut out the silicone around the sink before I removed it. I didn't quite manage to get it all cut out before I stuck the floor jack under the sink to lift it. Hence, I busted a bunch of the tile. So, new tile. :(
    I'm not really bummed about this, 'cause the new tile will blend in sooo much better than the existing stuff, so my question-
    Old tile was affixed to a plywood counter base with adhesive. What is the best adhesive for new tile on a plywood backer?
    Thanks, JB

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ozzy73

ozzy73 Member

Loc:
    ON, Canada
    You can tile over OSB and Plywood via thinset ( modified via mastic I believe ), there is always good old PL adhesives which will do the trick.
    Beetle-Kill likes this.
  3. bluedogz

bluedogz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Maryland
    Have done with thinset myself... just make sure it's THICK plywood.
    Beetle-Kill likes this.
  4. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    I screwed down 1/4 Hardie backer over 3/4" plywood and used thinset when I tiled my counter tops.
    Beetle-Kill and fishingpol like this.
  5. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    I think that this is what I would do also.
    Beetle-Kill likes this.
  6. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    Tile should have at least an inch of base to prevent cracking. Most do 3/4 pressboard and top it with 1/2 inch cement board. Somewhat cost effective, but moreso a great base with excellent adhesion to thinset.
    Beetle-Kill likes this.
  7. Beetle-Kill

Loc:
    Thanks gents. I'd use hardi-backer, but I have a oak perimeter that precludes that. Thinset it is, on top of existing 1.5" plywood. Now I have to get to work, it's been a mutha of a day.
  8. Beetle-Kill

Loc:
    OK, Thinset worked as expected, so that area is good. Sooo...-
    Had a small bar-top area that only needed 3-1/3rd tiles. I scarfed off the old adhesive down to the plywood surface, then layed on Liquid Nails subfloor adhesive.
    The tiles are stuck on there like a sonofagun, yet still have a cushion when you bear down on them. Tough to describe the feel, solid yet a hint being pliable.
    I did a search about using this adhesive for tile and came up with a big '0'. Tiles are 18x18 if that helps.
    Anyone try this? Wife said go for it so I figured I'd give it a shot. Why not be the first?
    EDIT- I should note, I layed 4 cases of new flooring on it to help squish/level the tiles, about 130lbs. spread out over 5' or less.
  9. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    Post some pics of how it turns out.
    Here is how my island turned out
    [​IMG]
    Beetle-Kill likes this.
  10. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    That looks really good. I was considering going with concrete but you've got me reconsidering tile again.
    How have you kept the grout clean? I assume sealing. How has that worked out?
  11. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    It worked out pretty good I used a 1/8" grout line and sealed them several times.
    I don't know how they look now because I sold the house 2 years ago. But they were great for the few years that I lived there. I also tiled the floor and those granite squares are the same as what I used on the counter tops.
    Beetle-Kill likes this.