Tile over a floor protector?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dirtybug

Oct 20, 2019
se PA
I’ve been using a store bought floor protector from hy-c over my wood floor in front of my insert to get the r1 it requires. it has worked well but a more attractive permanent solution is needed and I’m thinking why not cut the protector to the size I need and use it in place of a micore sheet ( isn’t that what it is anyway?) I’d like to have a tile hearth flush or .25” raised with the existing hardwood, thinking of removing the floor putting the cut floor protector with metal side up topping with a .25-.5” tile backer then tile.
Is there something I’m not thinking of?

My only concern might be making sure it’s rigid enough so it won’t pop tiles off if/when it’s moved and or stepped on.

Yes, I don't think the bond to the painted metal would be good. Screw at least a 1/4" sheet of cement backer board over the Hy-C for the tile to bond to.

Reactions: Nevins MHP
My only concern might be making sure it’s rigid enough so it won’t pop tiles off if/when it’s moved and or stepped on
I plan to screw is down to the subfloor or if I need less height directly to the joists with extra cribbing after removing the subfloor. Then backer board and tile.

Reactions: EbS-P
I pulled up the existing floor and reset a border, I’ll remove the angled subfloor in that area and bridge between the joist to support the hy-c floor protector and build up to the height I need with hardibacker. The concrete section is not close to level and some areas need .75” added whats everyone’s preferred self leveler and are there some types to avoid that can’t take the heat? I won’t have the floor protector there.

IMG_0486.jpeg

I would just put thick mud down and tile over the top, its not like there's any big weight on it other then a person or arm full of wood.