1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Tile over existing concrete shower pan?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by CarbonNeutral, Sep 18, 2012.

1. CarbonNeutral

CarbonNeutral Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nashoba Valley(ish), MA
    I have a shower with a concrete pan, all angled correctly. It doesn't look like it leaks (the bathroom was half demolished when we bought the house).

I want to put tile (probably pebbles on a sheet set in thinset) over the concrete. Is this possible? Any suggestions on this - should I score the concrete for better adhesion, seal it??? I am assuming I will be able to extend the waste by the 3/4 inch or so I will need.

Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio
    yes, I would hit it with a grinder to make sure it is clean and slightly roughed up. there are also some epoxy "thinsets" which might help seal the concrete to prevent seepage. concrete is porous and will allow water through, so if it was not installed properly, rubber membrane and proper drain which allows water that does get through to drain, you might have water issues.
  3. CarbonNeutral

Loc:
    Nashoba Valley(ish), MA
    Looking at it again, the pan to the lowest point where water would hit the (rusty) metal at the edge is barely 3/4" - that's no good as it stands, let alone with a layer of tile on top. Methinks the pan is being replaced...
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  4. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    I would also replace the pan!
  5. CarbonNeutral

Loc:
    Nashoba Valley(ish), MA
    Yep, it came out, in lots of pieces. Still debating whether to put my own in with tile, or just go the lowes route...